[comp.sys.atari.st] Blitters for the 1040ST

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (05/13/89)

Yesterday, I brought in a 1040ST that had problems with the internal drive.
When the box was opened up, I was surprised to see a spot market 'BLITTER' on
the motherboard. The technician who worked on the machine said "Sure, we've
had blitters on the 1040STs for ages". So what's all this I've read on the
NET about Atari never coming through with blitters for 1040STs. Does that
just refer to retrofits for motherboards that did not have a blitter slot?

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (05/16/89)

In article <8905151240.AA06613@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>Yesterday, I brought in a 1040ST that had problems with the internal drive.
>When the box was opened up, I was surprised to see a spot market 'BLITTER' on
>the motherboard.

The latest revisions of the 1040 boards have room for a BLITTER;
installation is easy (desolder the holes; solder in a socket; change 2
jumpres, run...); the hard thing is to get the Blitter chip. Dealers can
order it as "replacement part" for Megas (that's how i got mine).

Installation in an 520 ST reqires a little more: Rocke Computer
(Germany) make a little board that fits "under" the MPU and has a socket
for the Blitter chip.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
If there is something more important than my Ego, I want it caught and shot.