[comp.sys.atari.st] JRI 4096 Board

c60b-id@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (Teh Kao Yang) (05/16/89)

	Does the JRI 4096 board allow more than 16 colors on the screen
at once?? If so, could this board possibly be thought of as an expansion
graphics board for the Atari as the EGA/VGA boards are to the IBM?
 Can we expect software
to be written (games and graphics programs) that would take advantage of the
board??

cs163afu@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Some call me...Tim) (05/17/89)

In article <13835@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c60b-id@buddy.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Teh Kao Yang) writes:
>	Does the JRI 4096 board allow more than 16 colors on the screen
>at once?? If so, could this board possibly be thought of as an expansion
>graphics board for the Atari as the EGA/VGA boards are to the IBM?
> Can we expect software
>to be written (games and graphics programs) that would take advantage of the
>board??

The JRI 4096 color board allows you to have just that--a palette of
4096 colors.  You are getting an extra bit of color resolution for
each of red, green, and blue.

This does not change the basic graphics modes on the ST, however.
This means you still get 16 colors in low res, and 4 colors in high
res, only selected from 4096 colors now instead of 512.

As for software--due to the nature of this board, it will be VERY
easy for developers to include support for the board in all future
products.  I know for a fact that certain products will be released
in the near future that support the board, but I also am not able to
announce these same products.  Sorry.

It won't exactly be like EGA/VGA for the IBM, as the various IBM
resolutions are not usually compatible with one another, and this
will be extremely compatible with everything--in fact, I'm told
this will be one of the features the Atari ST+ will have.  That
makes it valuable to developers who want to get a jump on developing
software for that new extension of the ST line.

Tim Mensch
tmensch@ucsd.edu