[comp.sys.atari.st] Screen idlers

RIDDCJ@KIRK.ASTON.AC.UK (05/14/89)

  I just got a copy of a screen idler by Moshe Branner - IDLE12.PRG.  Has anyone
heard of this one as I cannot get it to work as advertised.  It's supposed to
clear the screen after 6 mins of inactivity, but doesn't after at least 15!  The
only thing I can think of that is disrupting it is a program called MOUSDOUB in
the Auto folder which speeds mouse movements.  Any ideas anybody?  Or is there a
better screen idler around?

  A sidenote: I have been trying to figure out the order of execution in the
Auto folder.  It is nothing at all to do with the way the desktop files are
sorted (Name, Date, Size, Type), and doesn't *appear* to be anything logical.

  Keep on computing!

    Chris
/                                                                              \
| Chris Ridd, Dept of Comp. Sci, Aston University, Birmingham, UK.             |
|                                                                              |
| JANET : riddcj@uk.ac.aston.kirk                                              |
\______________________________________________________________________________/
/                                                                              \
| "The voice from the Outer Worlds..."                                         |
\______________________________________________________________________________/
/                                                                              \
| fprintf(stderr, "Standard disclaimer\n");                                    |
\______________________________________________________________________________/

dac@ukc.ac.uk (David Clear) (05/16/89)

In article <8905160147.AA16203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> RIDDCJ@KIRK.ASTON.AC.UK writes:

>  A sidenote: I have been trying to figure out the order of execution in the
>Auto folder.  It is nothing at all to do with the way the desktop files are
>sorted (Name, Date, Size, Type), and doesn't *appear* to be anything logical.

I think the programs in the AUTO folder are executed in the order that
they were written on the disk. Not the date stamp - the physical order.
I could be wrong, but that's how I've always seen it.

>  Keep on computing!

What else is there?

>    Chris

Dave.

--
% cc life.c                      | David Clear <dac@ukc.ac.uk>
% a.out                          | Computer Science, University of Kent,

lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) (05/16/89)

In article <8905160147.AA16203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, RIDDCJ@KIRK.ASTON.AC.UK writes:
> I just got a copy of a screen idler by Moshe Branner - IDLE12.PRG.  Has anyone
> heard of this one as I cannot get it to work as advertised.  It's supposed to
> clear the screen after 6 mins of inactivity, but doesn't after at least 15! The
> only thing I can think of that is disrupting it is a program called MOUSDOUB in
> the Auto folder which speeds mouse movements.  Any ideas anybody?

	I've used Moshe Braner's IDLE (screen saver) together with MOUSDOUB
for a long time, and they both worked as advertised. Hence, something else
might be wrong.

>   A sidenote: I have been trying to figure out the order of execution in the
> Auto folder.  It is nothing at all to do with the way the desktop files are
> sorted (Name, Date, Size, Type), and doesn't *appear* to be anything logical.

	The order of execution in the AUTO folder is the order you copied/moved
programs into the folder !!

=======================================

	BTW, is there a public domain DVI to Epson (24pin) driver?  DVIEPS
only supports 9-pin printers, right?

--
if you can dream it, you can do it ...  		 CSNET:lean@sbcs.csnet
... go sleep			      		     ARPA:lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu

pvf@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Paul V. Fries) (05/19/89)

In article <2832@sbcs.sunysb.edu> lean@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Lean L. Loh) writes:
>	The order of execution in the AUTO folder is the order you copied/moved
>programs into the folder !!

I think this is close, but not quite true.  My experience says that the
actual order of the files in the folder is what matters.  To check the
order, I use an ls program with an "unsorted" option for the listing.

Anyway, the reason I say the quoted text is only close is that it is
possible that a program was deleted from the AUTO folder and a new
one subsequently added.  In this case, the program that was added later
will appear not at the end of the folder, but in the empty slot (which,
of course, could be at the end of the folder, but isn't necessarily).  So,
the order order you copied them is NOT necessarily the order in which
they are run.

Of course, using a truely vanilla ST, the only way to really be sure
of the order in the folder is to start with an empty folder.  In this
case, the insertion order == appearance order == the order of execution.

pvf