[comp.sys.atari.st] /AUTO execution sequence

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (05/17/89)

In article <8905160147.AA16203@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> RIDDCJ@KIRK.ASTON.AC.UK writes:
...[edited]...
>  A sidenote: I have been trying to figure out the order of execution in the
>Auto folder.  It is nothing at all to do with the way the desktop files are
>sorted (Name, Date, Size, Type), and doesn't *appear* to be anything logical.

This question pops up on a routine basis.

The order of execution is the physical order in which the files occur in the
directory of the disk. On a clean disk, with an empty directory, that would
be the order in which the files are placed into the directory (noting that
only files of extension .PRG are executed). If you delete a file, then that
directory entry becomes available, and the next file added to that directory
will occupy the physical location (and consequently the execution sequence)
formerly held by the deleted entry.

To precisely control the sequence of execution, remove all files from the
/AUTO folder, and replace them in the sequence you want them executed.

Note that if you are using some startup utility program to control your
startup sequence, then (once that utility gets executed), sequence
becomes controlled by that utility.
--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

BigD@cup.portal.com (Harold Hank Hagquist) (05/19/89)

The date and time of the files are the order in which the files are run fdiffm
            NAME                 DATE/TIME       ORDER RUN
      Program1.PRG        03/19/89  09:00:00         2
      Program2.PRG        03/19/89  08:59:00         1
      Program3.PRG        05/01/89  21:40:49         3

Hope this helps.

n62@nikhefh.hep.nl (Klamer Schutte) (05/19/89)

In article <18540@cup.portal.com> BigD@cup.portal.com (Harold Hank Hagquist) writes:
>The date and time of the files are the order in which the files are run fdiffm
>            NAME                 DATE/TIME       ORDER RUN
>      Program1.PRG        03/19/89  09:00:00         2
>      Program2.PRG        03/19/89  08:59:00         1
>      Program3.PRG        05/01/89  21:40:49         3
>
>Hope this helps.

WRONG!!

the order of execution is the order the files have in the directory!
The difference becomes clear when you delete a file in the auto folder and
write a new one; The new file will take the place of the older one and
will thus be executed before file's placed further in the /auto folder.

This is, on my version of TOS - a 1040 bought +- 1 year ago (sorry, i do
not know more).

Klamer.
Klamer Schutte			mcvax!nikhefh!n62	      n62@nikhefh.hep.nl

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (05/20/89)

Hagquist) writes:
>The date and time of the files are the order in which the files are run fdiffm

No.  It's the order in which files appear in the directory.  The
directory consists of a series of "slots" which are filled in order as
files are written.  However, slots are reused when files are deleted,
so a newly-written file can end up ahead of an older file.  The
easiest way to be sure of the order is to delete everything in \AUTO
and then copy the files back one at a time in the order you want them
to run.
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |