[comp.sys.atari.st] looking for Unix

bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) (05/17/89)

 am looking for a PD Unix shell for my ST.
 I am a beginner in the Unix area and don't want to buy something big until I know what I am getting into.

 I need something that is easy to use, PD/shareware, powerful, will run on a mega (1 meg partition), and that works well with a hard drive (I have 65megs so its no problem)....

Need manual or some kind of help files and tutorials also.... Beginner Unix books would be nice also if you have any suggestions!
Please help if you can... thanks in advance!
"Desperately seeking unix"

I have heard of Minix and Gulam. Are they viable upgrades at a later date?
Leave mail... will reply.

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (05/21/89)

bbs@medsys.UUCP (BBS login) writes:

> am looking for a PD Unix shell for my ST.
> [deleted stuff]
>
>I have heard of Minix and Gulam. Are they viable upgrades at a later date?
>Leave mail... will reply.

If you're just looking for a SHELL, the you should use Gulam. Gulam is also
alright to begin with, except that the builtin editor is a bit difficult.
The nice thing about Gulam is its history mechanism which is csh-like and
saves you much typing. The typical piping in the unix shell is not supported.
Gulam can also start up gem oriented software, at least those programs that
I tried, and come back again when the GEM based prog is exited. The documen-
tation for Gulam comes with the program.

MINIX is NOT a Unix-like shell. Rather it's a UNIX clone, i.e. an operating
system. The shell that comes with MINIX supports everything System 7 UNIX
supported. However, if you ruin MINIX, you can't run TOS programs. If you
run TOS, you can't use the MINIX shell. MINIX is an experimental OS that
comes with all source. It is described in a book by A. Tanenbaum. For further
documentation you can read any UNIX book. But don't expect too much. If you
read books about UNIX System V you're likely too be disappointed in some
of the (missing) MINIX features.

But, like I said above, if all you want is a SHELL, MINIX isn't what you
should go for.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad