[comp.sys.atari.st] MWC's msh

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (05/16/89)

I finnaly got around to installing my Mark William's C last night and the
first thing I noticed was msh lacked alias.  Has anyone hacked up a more
UNIX like shell for use with MWC?  Has anyone tried to port tcsh?

And while I have your attention:  What do people out there have to say about
swapable hard drives (Is it spelled Bornouli?)  Has anyone used one with
the atari?  Where can they be gotten?  How reliable are they?

dav

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (05/18/89)

Anyone know of a Gulam tutorial.

Ed (strugglin' with this stuff!) June

weber_w@apollo.COM (Walt Weber) (05/19/89)

In article <13491@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:

>I finaly got around to installing my Mark William's C last night and the
>first thing I noticed was msh lacked alias.

There are "shell functions" which will serve the same purpose.  You can
find some examples in the file "bin/profile" which gets installed from the
floppy.  Look at the stuff for "gemset" as an example.

...walt...
--
Walt Weber                            Apollo Computer
(508) 256-6600 x8315                  People's Republic of Massachusetts

crewman@bucsb.UUCP (JJS) (05/21/89)

In article <434d2667.10b48@apollo.COM> (Walt Weber) writes:
>In article <13491@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> (William David Haas) writes:
>>
>>I finaly got around to installing my Mark William's C last night and the
>>first thing I noticed was msh lacked alias.
>
>There are "shell functions" which will serve the same purpose.  You can
>find some examples in the file "bin/profile" which gets installed from the
>floppy.  Look at the stuff for "gemset" as an example.

Yep, this is just as good as alias.  But get this: you can also change msh's
builtins!  I wanted 'ls' to give me a columnar listing with file type
characters ("\" for directories, "*" for executables) by default.  All
I had to do for that was rename the builtin "ls" to something else, like "lss"
by using "unset in .bin ls" and then "set in .bin lss <address of 'ls'>".
Then all I had to do was to "set in .cmd ls" to "lss -<whatever flags I want>".

	-- JJS
	(busy at work on that .signature)