[comp.sys.atari.st] Floppy drive upgrade

rsimonian@x102c.harris-atd.com (Simonian RP 66449) (05/19/89)

I have an old external single-sided Atari floppy drive (SF 354) with the
square front (not the slanted one) which is slowly starting to die.  So
I need to upgrade it or get a new one.  My local Atari dealer doesn't
have the parts, or any new drives for that matter, in stock.

Question:  what are my options for upgrading this to double-sided, with a
minimal amount of hardware hacking?  I've heard Toshiba makes a good drive;
is it compatible with my case?  I would like costs and addresses.  Or, if
anyone out there has a used (but working!) external drive they'd like to
sell, let me know!

Richard P. Simonian     407/984-6006
Natural Language Processing Group
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902
Internet: rsimonian%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (05/23/89)

In article <2074@trantor.harris-atd.com> rsimonian@x102c.harris-atd.com (Simonian RP 66449) writes:

>I have an old external single-sided Atari floppy drive (SF 354) with the
>square front (not the slanted one) which is slowly starting to die.  So
>I need to upgrade it or get a new one.  My local Atari dealer doesn't
>have the parts, or any new drives for that matter, in stock.
>
>Question:  what are my options for upgrading this to double-sided, with a
>minimal amount of hardware hacking?  I've heard Toshiba makes a good drive;
>is it compatible with my case?
(rest deleted)

>Richard P. Simonian     407/984-6006
>Natural Language Processing Group
>Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902
>Internet: rsimonian%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com

Upgrading the drive will be EASY.  Finding the identical mech will be
hard.  The mech used by Atari (the early square-faced version) was the
Epson SMD-140 or SMD-180.  These are no longer made.

You can either put in a newer Epson (SMD-280, SMD-480) with a minimum
amount of hardware hacking.  You might also find a used 140/180 (I saw
a few at our local Hamfest on Saturday).  If you want to use a Toshiba,
make sure you get the ND-354 model, NOT the ND-352!  I know for a fact
that the 352 doesn't work on the ST.

Your best bet is to buy one of these mechs, and cut out the face plate
in the SS drive so the one on the drive itself fits into it.  If you do
it correctly, it will look pretty good.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic