[comp.sys.atari.st] ROM hacks

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (05/18/89)

Recently, I posed the following question in the Atari ST roundtable
on GEnie (actually, I did not phrase it exactly like this, but this
is the gist of what I said):

Would I have any legal problems with Atari if I disassembled the ROM
code, altered it to suit my individual needs, and then burned a new set
of ROMs for my machine?  I also stated that the ROMS would be used only
in my machine and that (1) I would not release the original code to
anyone and (2) I wouldn't release the bastardized code to anyone
either.  All of this is for my own little 1040ST.

Well, a Mr. Townsend replied that he thought the process was illegal,
but he didn't give a reason.  I can't understand why.  If that is
illegal then wouldn't it be illegal to modify the carburator in my new
Ford, etc...?  Oh yeah, this guy was from Atari.  A few other users saw
things my way.  I personally thought that after the purchase of my
computer it was my right to change/alter/modify any part of the
computer that I saw fit.  What do you think about this?  Myself and a
couple of friends are (1) really impatient for the ROM upgrade (which
Tramiel just said wouldn't be available anyway for the 1040) and (2)
very curious to see if we can "improve" and debug this version of TOS
enough to suit our needs.  BTW, both of my friends are PhD candidates
in Comp Sci and one of them is involved in heavy OS research.  Hehe,
I'm just gonna watch and maybe learn a bit in the process.  We have
tons of equipment to burn the ROMs and a very cheap source of EPROMs.
What do the rest of you netters think?

Curious as hell,

Chris Mauritz
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu
No points for 2nd BEST!

cs163afu@sdcc10.ucsd.EDU (Some call me...Tim) (05/18/89)

In article <8905171847.AA01433@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Would I have any legal problems with Atari if I disassembled the ROM
>code, altered it to suit my individual needs, and then burned a new set
>of ROMs for my machine?  I also stated that the ROMS would be used only
>in my machine and that (1) I would not release the original code to
>anyone and (2) I wouldn't release the bastardized code to anyone
>either.  All of this is for my own little 1040ST.
>
>Well, a Mr. Townsend replied that he thought the process was illegal,
>but he didn't give a reason.

I think that technically he's right.  A Copyright "gives the owner
the exclusive right...to prepare derivative works."  I doubt,
however, you would need fear prosecution by Atari as long as you
don't distribute anything.

> Myself and a
> couple of friends are really impatient for the ROM upgrade (which
> Tramiel just said wouldn't be available anyway for the 1040)

The ROM upgrade should be available for all ST's.  I know for a fact
that it works on 1040's and Megas, and it should work on 520's as
well.  It just won't be available to the general public for a number
of months--however long it takes for the ROMs to be produced in
large quantities and sent to dealers.

-----------
Tim Mensch.
tmensch@ucsd.edu

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (05/18/89)

The message this is in response to mentions in passing that TOS upgrades will
not be available for the 1040 ST (the source is said to be a Tramiel family
member).  I had heard pretty firmly that there wouldn't be an official blitter
upgrade for the 1040 ST, but I thought TOS 1.4 was promised rather firmly.
Could someone who knows the answer for sure comment on this?
                                    Steve J.

maverick@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Steve Whitney) (05/18/89)

In article <8905171847.AA01433@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> Would I have any legal problems with Atari if I disassembled the ROM
> code, altered it to suit my individual needs, and then burned a new set
> of ROMs for my machine?  ...
[won't release disassebbly or new version]
> Well, a Mr. Townsend replied that he thought the process was illegal,
> but he didn't give a reason.  I can't understand why.  If that is
> illegal then wouldn't it be illegal to modify the carburator in my new
> Ford, etc...?  Oh yeah, this guy was from Atari.  A few other users saw
> things my way.

I think the problem is with your burning EPROMs which contain code copyrighted
by Atari, but I'm no expert.  You aren't making a copy of your Ford
carburetor or Ford wouldn't be too happy with you either, I imagine.

> What do you think about this?  Myself and a
> couple of friends are (1) really impatient for the ROM upgrade (which
> Tramiel just said wouldn't be available anyway for the 1040)

The current scoop from Atari is that TOS 1.4 will be available for all
machines, but the BLiTTER will not.  They said they had FCC problems with
insufficient shielding in the non-Mega computers.
--
       Steve Whitney         Internet:   maverick@portia.stanford.edu
                             UUCP:      ..!decwrl!portia.stanford.edu!maverick

john@stag.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/19/89)

[Christopher M Mauritz <cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>, wrote...]

> Would I have any legal problems with Atari if I disassembled the ROM
> code, altered it to suit my individual needs, and then burned a new set
> of ROMs for my machine?
...etc...

  If, in fact, John Townsend said what you quoted him as saying, I think
he's very wrong on this.  As far as I can see, there is no legal reason
you can't do -anything- you want with -your- property including, but not
limited to, modifying the OS, turning it perminantly into an answering
machine, and/or making a plant stand out of it.  Selling (or giving away)
the modified OS is another matter which would probably result in
infringement on Atari's rights over the code in the roms.

  Disclaimer:  I'm no lawyer...  Take my opinions only as opinions.

>   Myself and a couple of friends are (1) really impatient for the ROM
> upgrade (which Tramiel just said wouldn't be available anyway for the
> 1040)

  How certain are you of this quote?  I've reciently read messages from
Atari concerning release of the 1.4 roms and haven't seen any indication
that these were not going to be available for the 1040.  (Matter of fact,
that they were talking about releasing two different physical sets of
roms for different socket sets (the various different boards in the
1040's and 520's ??) would tend to indicate -exactly- the reverse is
true...)  Are you sure this isn't a misinterpritation or a mis-quote of
some of the other recient announcements concerning the 1040/520?  I've
ocassionaly seen problems in Atari where the left hand didn't know what
the right was doing (or saying), but this sounds like far too bad (more
like "fatal") a PR move for it to be true (or to remain true for long...).

  I've been using the ram 1.4 version of TOS (I'm a registered developer)
for a few months now and I'd HIGHLY encourgage you to wait for it if it's
going to be available.  It solves so many problems and is so much faster
than the current rom versions that spending the time and effort to RE-fix
the bugs already fixed in 1.4 sounds like a supreme waste of time iff
Atari is going to make it available sometime in the next 6 months....

  One way or the other ... good luck,
				... John Stanley

---
John Stanley <dynasoft!john@stag.UUCP>
Software Consultant / Dynasoft Systems

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (05/24/89)

The only reason it might me considered illegal is if it's copyrighted, which
I'm sure it is.  When you make a copy of the original ROM, even if there are
changes, there will probably be some original code left, so theoretically
they could get you for that.

On the other hand, they'd be stupid to do that if you're not going to sell
them, 'cuz that would just get you mad at them.  So I'd probably go ahead
and do it.  Besides, it would be fun.

Oh yeah, it would void the warranty.  8-)

--
         "If I cannot create it, I do not understand it"
                                        -Richard Feynman