[comp.sys.atari.st] two ST's -- one Printer SWitching?

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (05/18/89)

 I have two ST's, and one Epson FX 85.

 I would like to put in a simple switch to select which ST goes to
the printer.

There has been past discussions of the ST loosing output chips
when the connector was removed with the power on.

Has anyone tried a 2 way switch.  Success?  or Failure?

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (05/20/89)

In article <31849@sri-unix.SRI.COM> hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:

> I have two ST's, and one Epson FX 85.
>
> I would like to put in a simple switch to select which ST goes to
>the printer.
>
>There has been past discussions of the ST loosing output chips
>when the connector was removed with the power on.
>
>Has anyone tried a 2 way switch.  Success?  or Failure?

I have used a mechanical data transfer switch with no problems except
for an occasional bad contact that is fixed by working the switch back
and forth a few times.  These are commercially available and just plug
in.  You may need to buy cables to go from your two ST's to the switch
box in addition to the switch box itself.
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

CharlieBrown@cup.portal.com (Charles F Schieber) (05/27/89)

If you want to get fancy you may wish to use a Auto-T Switch.I have one hooked
up to three computers to one Prowriter .It is automatic,nothing to switch.
Model CCAT-P sells for $149.00 plus tax and can be ordered from ICM Integrated
Marketing Corp. 1031-H East Duane Ave. Sunnyvale Ca.94086 1-800 537-5999.In
California 408-730-1112.The Auto-T is a four user share 1 printer(serial or
parallel) You could use a Interface selector switch A - B .This would give a
make break switch which works.Dont fool around with rotary switching ,I had
all kinds of problems when I tried one.Hope this will answer you questions.