[comp.sys.atari.st] Code conflicts

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (05/30/89)

If I have a screen save utility (called NITE.PRG) installed, dbMAN halts
execution when the screen blanks and restarts when I touch the mouse or a
key to refresh the screen. Why would a screen blank interrupt cause dbMAN
to halt?

When I have NEOCNTRL.ACC installed, UNITERM goes into some weird mode when
I press INSERT to call up the keyboard buffer. The only way out is to reboot
my ST. Anyone have ideas on this one?

robing@galadriel.UUCP (Robin Gape) (06/01/89)

From article <8905301722.AA09574@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, by 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog):
> If I have a screen save utility (called NITE.PRG) installed, dbMAN halts
> execution when the screen blanks and restarts when I touch the mouse or a
> key to refresh the screen. Why would a screen blank interrupt cause dbMAN
> to halt?
>
> When I have NEOCNTRL.ACC installed, UNITERM goes into some weird mode when
> I press INSERT to call up the keyboard buffer. The only way out is to reboot
> my ST. Anyone have ideas on this one?

Second question. Yes, UNITERM has the exceptionally antisocial habit of
burrowing into the keyboard vectors and re-configuring the mouse
handler. This is done to allow it to detect simultaneous clicks of the
mouse, or some such. Unfortuneately, when UNITERM terminates it does NOT
release the vectors bnack to normal operation. This is fine for floppy
based systems, and people running under TOS-in-RAM who expect lots of
bombs, but a real pain-in-the-anatomy if you're using a hard disk,
especially with GDOS.

The UNITERM documentation does mention this habit, but it makes no
reference to the consequences. Remember, the prog. was written a while
ago, when applications tended to be less sophisticated.

Hope this helps

Robin Gape
(robing@uk.co.bt.galadriel)

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/02/89)

In article <8905301722.AA09574@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>If I have a screen save utility (called NITE.PRG) installed, dbMAN halts
>execution when the screen blanks and restarts when I touch the mouse or a
>key to refresh the screen. Why would a screen blank interrupt cause dbMAN
>to halt?

I don't have the answer, but NITE is obsolete.   It was always very
buggy and has been replaced by IDLE12, also by Moshe Braner.  I use
IDLE12 and dBMAN all the time with no problems.

IDLE12 is small, and it was recently reposted by Braner.  You can get a
copy from me if you don't find it elsewhere.   Please use the Reply-To:
address, I don't have it onthis machine.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2