[comp.sys.atari.st] Again WP suggestions

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (05/31/89)

Either I have some difficulty explaining what I want to see or some netters
have difficulty understanding what I said. Either way, confusion reins. RE:
Fkeys on WP, the multi-levelled Fkey approach is great for some one who uses
WP every day. What about the occasional user who goes on vacation for 3 weeks;
he tends to forget a great deal and has to re-learn WP over and over again.
In a business environment, re-learning an application can get expensive.

Certainly, WP-ST's menus minimize the relearning process. All I suggested was
an improvement of the F-key interface. If an appl. uses Fkeys, their defs
SHOULD be on the screen, not on some piece of cardboard.

                                           By clicking on an A, S or C
      WP's window                          button, the Fkey defs would change
                                           to show Alt, Shft or Ctl Fkeys
   F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 A S C  <-- Fkey icons on screen bottom

sid@brambo.UUCP (Sid Van den Heede) (06/03/89)

In article <8905311310.AA09061@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>Either I have some difficulty explaining what I want to see or some netters
>have difficulty understanding what I said.
>                                                          All I suggested was
>an improvement of the F-key interface. If an appl. uses Fkeys, their defs
>SHOULD be on the screen, not on some piece of cardboard.

I tried to stay out of this, but enough's enough.

I think netters have *no* difficulty understanding what you said.
I think that a lot of them, myself included, simply *disagree*.
Disagreement with an *opinion* doesn't imply difficulty of understanding.

>                                           By clicking on an A, S or C
>      WP's window                          button, the Fkey defs would change
>                                           to show Alt, Shft or Ctl Fkeys
>   F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 A S C  <-- Fkey icons on screen bottom

Gee, why not just press the Alt, Shift, or Control buttons.:-)  Why should I
have to move my hand from the keyboard to the mouse, then point and click,
only to be followed by pressing the chosen augmentation key back on the
keyboard!

Oh, by the way, how do you suggest showing the *unaugmented* F-keys? :-)
Perhaps you should add a U button?  How about pressing Alt, Shift, and
Control all at the same time? (Assume :-) where appropriate.)

Personally, I like the "piece of cardboard".  I can glance at it quickly,
and if I can't find what I want I'll let WP's help facility look it up
for me.  Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I hope netters don't have
difficulty understanding.