[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 now available

nims@accuvax.nwu.edu (Chris Nims) (05/31/89)

I received a call today from Gail Johnson at Atari Corp...telling me that
the TOS 1.4 roms are now available to registered developers that
called her and said they wanted them as soon as they came out.

So, that should mean that all you other Atarians should be able to
get them soon. I'll be getting mine soon, I'll answer any questions
that you might have.

Chris Nims
Northwestern University
Academic Computing and Networking

inet: nims@accuvax.nwu.edu

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (06/01/89)

Could some Atari official give us an update of where we are on TOS 1.4?

I, for one, have a 1040 which I purchased in late 1985 and I'm biting
my nails waiting for TOS 1.4.  I remember my wait for the Blitter, which
I never got to get.  However, with 1.4 I WANT this as soon as I can get
it.  I have my credit card ready and I'm going to order it the *_minute_*
I get an address or phone number.

Thanks,
-c
| Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu           |
| Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu           |
| College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet       |
| Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe |

 -=- The Animal-Rights mailing list is now on the air.           -=-
 -=- Send mail to Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu to subscribe. -=-

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/02/89)

My small contribution: it is my understanding that the TOS 1.4 ROMS now
being made available to developers are PROMS.  My years of study of Murphy's
law have left the twin beliefs that masks are always a little bit wrong, and
that no matter what the specification was, the masked ROM is the standard.
Therefore, unless some Atari person says that TOS 1.4 will be in PROMS for
all its users for a good long while, I can wait for the masked programmed
version.                                Steve J.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/06/89)

In article <8615@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
> My small contribution: it is my understanding that the TOS 1.4 ROMS now
> being made available to developers are PROMS.  My years of study of Murphy's
> law have left the twin beliefs that masks are always a little bit wrong, and
> that no matter what the specification was, the masked ROM is the standard.

I don't follow your reasoning.  If we ship PROMS, it's because they are
bytewise identical to the pattern we started with.  That pattern is the
same one we sent to the ROM manufacturer, and we won't accept the ROMs
unless they're identical to that, too.  Furthermore, if the masks are "a
little bit wrong," the PROMs might not work at all, and we wouldn't ship
that either.  So what's the problem with PROMS?