[comp.sys.atari.st] Megafile30 + 1040ST

mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) (06/02/89)

A local computer store tells me the MEGAFILE30 won't work
with the 1040ST. The other store in town says it will!

Before I plunk down my $695...
	1) does anyone have any experience with the M30 and the
	1040?
	2) how does $695 compare for other 30M RLL drives?

Thanks (in advance) for the replys!
|Mike Whitbeck             |                              |
|Desert Research Inst.     | mikew@wheeler.wrc.unr.edu    |
|POB 60220                 |                              |
|RENO, NV 89506            | 702-673-7348                 |
|__________________________|______________________________|

Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than a
	whole one......
			E.B. White
(unfortunately cracked pots leak and are soon empty)

root@yale.UUCP (Root Of All Evil) (06/03/89)

In article <2284@tahoe.unr.edu> mikew@wheeler.UUCP (Mike Whitbeck) writes:
>A local computer store tells me the MEGAFILE30 won't work
>with the 1040ST. The other store in town says it will!

It will---I've been using a system configured that way for a month
now---but...
the cable furnished with the MEGAFILE30 is too short to reach from the
back of the MEGAFILE30 case to the 1040ST when the MEGAFILE30 is
placed under the monitor and positioned in the natural way with the
connectors at the back.  What I have done is to rotate the MEGAFILE30
by 90 degrees, which brings the connector close enough to the back of
the 1040.  It works fine, but it isn't very elegant.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (06/07/89)

in article <2284@tahoe.unr.edu>, mikew@wheeler.wrcr.unr.edu (Mike Whitbeck) says:

> A local computer store tells me the MEGAFILE30 won't work
> with the 1040ST. The other store in town says it will!

Sure, the Megafile 30 should work fine with your 1040ST.  It will act
like the older SH204 with the exception of 1) DMA through, 2) 10megs
of extra space.

Dan