[comp.sys.atari.st] Megafile 30

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/29/88)

In article <804@yugas.UUCP>, julius@yugas.UUCP (Julius OKLAMCAK) writes:
| The new hard drives are the MEGAFILE *30* and MEGAFILE 60.

Is the 60 out, available, yet?

| The '30' uses an ST-238R with an RLL controller and the '60' uses an RLL
| rated 3650 with an RLL controller.  Step rates aren't in the sub-40
| millisecond range, but neither can my car go from 0-100 km/h in under 6
| seconds...

Our local store (the one that brought you Turbodos) has MEGAFILE 30's in
stock.  The only thing that they said that differs is that the speed is
the same as the SH205 and SH204: 60 msec!

Does anyone have anything more precise?  I thought it somewhat slow.
You know, 0-100 km/h in around 30 secs.  :-)
I hope to be corrected!

--
Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.

ugbernie@sunybcs.uucp (Bernard Bediako) (11/29/88)

	We were told by Atari representatives at the Toronto Comp. Faire that
the SH205's had 28 ms. drives.  Is this true?
				bernie

Bernard Bediako                           SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
UUCP:          	  ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugbernie
Internet: ugbernie@cs.Buffalo.EDU         BITNET: ugbernie@sunybcs.BITNET

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/29/88)

I just bought a pair of Seagate 65 megabyte hard disks from ABCO Inc
in Jacksonville FL (904-783-3319) for $1200 that are 28 ms!! Quite a bit
faster then the Atari 69 ms!! And cheaper too!!!

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (02/24/89)

> From: "ROGER@BRAGE Roger Fredriksson QZ-VAX" <ROGER%brage.qz.se%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
>
> Good morning,
>   I hope You don't mind me asking You two questions about harddisks for Atari.
> ... hoped to receive some advice from You. First, I have seen a Atari harddisk
> called MegaFile 30, do You know if it is working so well with Minix that You
> would recomend me to buy it? Secondly, if not what would You recomend instead?
> /Roger

First.  So far, ALL ATARI disks seem to work with minix.
Second, I do not know if the MegaFile 30 shares the SH204 grief.  It should
	be easy to check; maybe someone on the new will.
	-- Use any utility that will access drive 1 on controller 0.
	Such as, hdx, Magic Sac, Spectre128, a recent utility in START.
	-- If the program says the drive is there, but reads wrong, then that
	is the SH204 problem.
Third,	I would suspect that 30 megabytes implies an Adaptec 4070 RLL
	controller.  I would expect that another RLL drive could be added.
	Maybe Adaptec will tell you if you can mix RLL and MFM drives.

There is a lot to say for clean prepackaged systems.  And a Megafile 30 surely
is a cleaner package for non-hardware types that say the Berkely Microsystems
that I favor.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/08/89)

There is a store in New York City selling the Megafile 30 for $439.  Is
this a good hard drive?  I was planning on building a unit, but at this
price I may as well buy an Atari drive.  Can another mechanism be added to
this drive to increase the storage?  If I wanted more storage later, could
I remove the 30 meg mechanism and put in a larger one?  Are Atari hard
drives good in general?  I was going to buy a FA-ST case and a 60 meg drive.
Comments anyone???

Chris Mauritz
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu