[comp.sys.atari.st] Revolver/19.2K baud/awards

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (06/05/89)

1. I just received REVOLVER and it's better than I hoped for. The AUTO BOOT
   manager alone makes the acquisition worthwhile,  never mind the ability to
   partition my Mega's memory and run more than one appl at a time. BUT (there
   is always a but) I cannot disable REVOLVER's loader on boot up by holding
   down the LEFT SHFT-ALT combo like the manual says. Has this feature been
   disabled? (HISOFT BASIC's info program says I have ROM version 1.2)

2. Alan Pratt says that 19.2K is the pits on the ST. Nonsense, I use 19.2K
   every day to talk to a CYBER 830 or 990 or the VAX 850 at work. I connect
   via a Northern Telecom SL/1 digital modem using UNITERM. Alan has either
   the wrong modem or the wrong telecom package. I haven't had a KERMIT
   packet rejected yet!

3. Since Atari folks read and respond to various items on the net, why
   haven't I heard anyone from Atari respond to my idea about awards for
   best PD and commercial software to reward ST code developers? Is Atari
   selectively deaf?

marcog@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Marco Gommersbach) (06/06/89)

/ hpbbrd:comp.sys.atari.st / 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) /  8:49 pm  Jun  4, 1989 /
>1. I just received REVOLVER and it's better than I hoped for. The AUTO BOOT
>   manager alone makes the acquisition worthwhile,  never mind the ability to
>   partition my Mega's memory and run more than one appl at a time. BUT (there
>   is always a but) I cannot disable REVOLVER's loader on boot up by holding
>   down the LEFT SHFT-ALT combo like the manual says. Has this feature been
>   disabled? (HISOFT BASIC's info program says I have ROM version 1.2)

	I think that's a TOS problem of version 1.2, I have the same problem
	with my hd-driver which is disabled by holding the ALT-key.
	It worked fine with the old ROM version, with the new version you have
	to hit the keys twice, hit them one time release them and hit them
        once more and hold them that works with my hd-driver.

        Marco

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/07/89)

In article <8906050250.AA22171@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
> 2. Alan Pratt says that 19.2K is the pits on the ST. Nonsense.
>
> 3. Since Atari folks read and respond to various items on the net, why
>    haven't I heard anyone from Atari respond to my idea about awards for
>    best PD and commercial software to reward ST code developers? Is Atari
>    selectively deaf?

2.  I said 19.2K is the pits when you put the MFP in divide-by-1 mode.
This is true, and it's true because the clocks on two machines won't be
exactly in synch.  See the discussion of 38KBaud on ST for more about
this.  When you use the normal 19.2K set up by Rsconf, you're fine.

3.  With the signal/noise ratio on the net, you should be more surprised
that something DOES get a response than that something DOESN'T.  We
can't take the time to respond to everything; as far as management is
concerned, netnews is somewhere between a perk and a necessary evil.
It's a huge time-sink with only minor payback.

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/09/89)

In article <37800008@hpbbrd.HP.COM> marcog@hpbbrd.HP.COM (Marco Gommersbach)
writes:
> / hpbbrd:comp.sys.atari.st / 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog)
> >   I cannot disable REVOLVER's loader on boot up by holding
> >   down the LEFT SHFT-ALT combo like the manual says. Has this feature been
> >   disabled? (HISOFT BASIC's info program says I have ROM version 1.2)

This smells a lot like another case of being B.A.D.  (Broken As
Designed).  There is a perfectly legal and compatible way to find out
what shift keys are down: use Bioskeys(-1).  However, some developers
use the address in RAM where the BIOS keeps this information, without
regard for the fact that the address is not published and changes from
ROM to ROM (as you have discovered).

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (06/09/89)

In article <1533@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>netnews is somewhere between a perk and a necessary evil.
>It's a huge time-sink with only minor payback.

But for us (non-Atari employees) it is the other way around.
I have been collecting and printing out useful articles for about 2 years
now and regularly use a big folder of these instead of books as a source
of ST information.

With all the changes/enhancements you made to TOS 1.4 you obviously listen
to what we say on issues like auto booting GEM programs etc.

When we see 'Atari Corporation' in the news header we know that what follows
will be the official line and not rumours and hearsay.

>Opinions expressed above do not necessarily	-- Allan Pratt, Atari Corp.
>reflect those of Atari Corp. or anyone else.	  ...ames!atari!apratt

/ DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own \
! "So your father was a woman" - "No No ROMAN (crack) Argh!" - Monty Python   !
! Neil Forsyth                           JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs             !
! Dept. of Computer Science              ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk             !
! Heriot-Watt University                 UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil      !
! Edinburgh                                                                   !
! Scotland                                                                    !