[comp.sys.atari.st] CAN'T DECODE--HELP!

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (06/07/89)

    Folks, I know that this is old stuff, but I'm having problems.  I am
trying to decode the recent files, BIGSCREEN and the PARTITION program.
I run the decode programs and the result gives me ARCed files.  I then
view the ARCs and see files inside.  In the PARTITION program, I see
three files.  One is a document file and the others are a COMMAND.TOS
shell and a program.
    When I attempt to deARC the programs, I get a BAD FILE--CRC FAILS
CHECK error.  I get this error in spite of all my utilities.
    The .doc files survive.  I can read them.
    Why oh why can't I unencode these files?

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) (06/08/89)

In article <890606.22525570.008466@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

 >    Folks, I know that this is old stuff, but I'm having problems.

No comments... *grin*

 >    When I attempt to deARC the programs, I get a BAD FILE--CRC FAILS
 >CHECK error.  I get this error in spite of all my utilities.
 >    The .doc files survive.  I can read them.
 >    Why oh why can't I unencode these files?

Well, I don't know what kind of network system type CP-6 is on, but I do
know that on occasion IBM-type machines (read: EBCDIC) have a nasty
tendency to try to translate characters from what they really should be.
Perhaps this is the problem you're having.  Unfortunately, I don't remember
which characters anymore and what the fix is - but perhaps someone does.
I do remember that when I substituted all those chars in a UUE file, it
unARCd like a champ.

Any other oldies out there remember?

stowe@silver.indiana.bacs.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (06/09/89)

In article <21761@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) writes:
> In article <890606.22525570.008466@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>
>  >    Folks, I know that this is old stuff, but I'm having problems.
>
> No comments... *grin*
>

>  >    When I attempt to deARC the programs, I get a BAD FILE--CRC FAILS
>  >CHECK error.  I get this error in spite of all my utilities.
>  >    The .doc files survive.  I can read them.
>  >    Why oh why can't I unencode these files?
>
> Well, I don't know what kind of network system type CP-6 is on, but I do
> know that on occasion IBM-type machines (read: EBCDIC) have a nasty
> tendency to try to translate characters from what they really should be.
> Perhaps this is the problem you're having.  Unfortunately, I don't remember
> which characters anymore and what the fix is - but perhaps someone does.
> I do remember that when I substituted all those chars in a UUE file, it
> unARCd like a champ.
>
> Any other oldies out there remember?
>
> stowe@silver.indiana.bacs.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.

   Well, its the old truncate and character swap problem with EBCDIC.
   If you edit the uuencoded bigscrn file and change all the '~' with '^'
   and also append a space character at the end off every line (except the
   first line and the last 3 lines) the thing will uudecode.  You will still
   get a short file error but the resulting ARC file will unarc OK.
   I just tried it and it worked fine.

   +  ####### ####### ###  C O M P U T E R   |    +---------+    +
   +  ###  ## ###  ## ###                    |    | An STC  |    +
   +  ###     ###     ###  C O N S O L E S   |    | Company |    +
   +  ###  ## ###  ## ###                    |    +---------+    +
   +  ####### ####### ###   Incorporated     |___________________+
   +                                                             +
   +  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!paulm@dl2           (Paul L. Moreau)      +
   +    or   ...paulm@ccicpg          (Diagnostics Software Eng) +
   +                                     (Irvine, California)    +
   +                                                             +
   +  Harrisberger's Fourth Law of the Lab:                      +
   +             Experience is directly proportional             +
   +             to the amount of equipment ruined.              +
   +                                                             +

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (06/10/89)

In article <21761@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) writes:

>know that on occasion IBM-type machines (read: EBCDIC) have a nasty
>tendency to try to translate characters from what they really should be.

Use the "uue" and "uud" versions of uudecode and uuencode. They put
a table in front of the file, and attempts to correct such translation
errors by themselves.

I've got the sources for the ST, if you haven't got them already.

  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
  Fridstav\"agen 4	  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!
  S-715 94  Odensbacken  /  /            kullmar!pkmab!daniel
  SWEDEN		/  /	   Phone: +46-19-52037, +46-19-111441 (BBS)

(\" in front of a character means you should put the " on top of the
 next character. Then you will have a swedish character!)