[comp.sys.atari.st] FidoNet

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (06/09/89)

Are there any ST's on FidoNet?  I heard someone mention that they
had read something on the ST echo, which I assumed was on FidoNet.
What software is available for interfacing with FidoNet?

Finally, has anybody successfully gateway'd from the Internet
to FidoNet.  Supposedly, one is able to send net mail to a FidoNet
node using a fully qualified domain name.  For example a message
destined for FidoNet node 1:306/12.0 could be addressed as:

	First.Last@p0.f12.n306.z1.fidonet.org
OR
	First.Last@f12.n306.z1.fidonet.org

since the point is 0 (p0) so it can be dropped.

I have sent a few messages like this but I don't think any have
made it.

I think there may be some software for STadel, but I don't know for
sure.  Can somebody help me out?

Oh yeah, How active is the ST Echo?

Many Thanks,
-c
| Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu           |
| Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu           |
| College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet       |
| Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe |

 -=- The Animal-Rights mailing list is now on the air.           -=-
 -=- Send mail to Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu to subscribe. -=-

to_stdnet@stag.UUCP (06/10/89)

From: stag!thelake!steve@bungia.mn.org (Steve Yelvington)

 csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) writes:

> Are there any ST's on FidoNet?  I heard someone mention that they
> had read something on the ST echo, which I assumed was on FidoNet.

The ST_ECHO is a torrent of misinformation and infested by pimply-faced
14-year-olds who are k00l doodz, but it exists.

> What software is available for interfacing with FidoNet?

Most of the ST-based BBSes on the network are using Binkley Term as a
"front end" -- the program that greets you when you call and handles
Fidonet message transfers. Binkley apparently is a shareware program
ported from the PC by Peter Glasmacher.

Setting up a Fidonet point is incredibly complicated, requiring an array
of utilities for renumbering messages, packing and unpacking archives,
maintaining nodelists, etc.

For a brief period I ran a Fidonet point using GS-Point, a simpler but
also not very reliable program designed for a one-user system. Running off
a floppy, it took up to 40 minutes to process a day's traffic in the Atari
ST echo, and up to two minutes to fetch and display a single message.

There are some European programs called Pandora and The_Box, but I don't
know much about them.

> I think there may be some software for STadel, but I don't know for
> sure.  Can somebody help me out?

Jim Kershner, sysop of The Land BBS (US 612 513-254-6811 on the Citadel
network) has been using Binkley Term in conjunction with a utility he
wrote to untangle Fidonet messages and put them into Internet RFC822
format. He then puts the messages where UUCALL (STadel's UUCP utility) can
find them, and UUCALL faithfully integrates them into the Citadel system.
I think he has it working both directions, but I couldn't swear to it.
On the Citadel network, try sending mail to ur-lord@the_land.citadel.

#define steve@thelake.UUCP      pwcs!stag!thelake!steve
#define steve@thelake.citadel   the_land!class68!thelake!steve

BUGGS@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (06/10/89)

>csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson)
>Are there any ST's on FidoNet?

Definately!!

>What software is available for interfacing with FidoNet?
I use Binkley Term ST, but waitin' for FoReM ST Pro.

>Finally, has anybody successfully gateway'd from the Internet to FidoNet?

I'd like to know this too! How 'bout postin' from Fido to UseNet? I'd love to
do this!!

>Oh yeah, How active is the ST Echo?

VERY! I get sometimes 200 messages a night!

Ed June
 Fido node 1:133/403

shawn.smith@canremote.uucp (SHAWN SMITH) (06/10/89)

There are as I understand a few software packages that allow ST BBS
software to interface with Fidonet. First that I know of is the PD BBS
STarnet. It has been fido compatible since the outset. There is also a
modified version of STarnet called STargate that allows FoReM ST to be
fido compatible thru the doors area. The front end for all of these
programs as I understand it is Binkley Term.

As an aside you mentioned that you heard it thru a net so you assumed it
was fido, I just wanted to let you all know that there is also FoReM Net
which to this point in time is much more popular in the ST world. There
is approx 400 nodes in the network and the speed is pretty go. I can get
a message from me in Toronto to a BBS in luxembourg (sp?) in about 48
hours (faster if all the connections click just right). Give a FoReM BBS
a try and see what it is all about.

Shawn Smith
---
 * Via ProDoor 2.9a

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (06/11/89)

In article <8906081831.AA19818@cs.wm.edu> csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) writes:
>Are there any ST's on FidoNet?  I heard someone mention that they
>had read something on the ST echo, which I assumed was on FidoNet.
>What software is available for interfacing with FidoNet?

Oh yes, there are in fact quite a lot of ST's on FidoNet. Maybe not
compared to the number of PC's, but still quite a few.
In Europe a FidoNet-compatible mailer called "The-Box" is avaiable. It's
shareware, created by some freaks from the Netherlands (I think...)
Maybe I can post it to the net, I don't know if that's ok with them.
I'll try to get in touch with him about that.
Anyhow, I can send you a copy, that's ok according to all the infofiles.
Also, there's a OPUS-clone called "Pandora". It's not bad, but not the
best BBS-program one could think of. I've heard some rumours about a
BBS-program called "Q-BBS" that should be SW, too. I haven't seen it
working.

Just my limited knowledge, feel free to add any other programs or
to correct any errors in this article...

  Daniel Deimert	   /  /    Internet: daniel@pkmab.se
  Fridstavaegen 4	  /  /     UUCP: ...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!
  S-715 94  Odensbacken  /  /            kullmar!pkmab!daniel
  SWEDEN		/  /	   Phone: +46-19-52037, +46-19-111441 (BBS)