[comp.sys.atari.st] Keyboard enhancements.

ins_adba@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Domingo Alvear) (06/09/89)

I hope I don't get flamed for expecting a reply, but other messages
did get answers so...

I have the MegaTouch springs installed in my 520, and they work OK,
but I am too lazy to try them upside down (big side down).  Does
anybody have an opinion on which is better?

Also, somebody posted an article stating you could punch out rubber
spacers (or some such) that could be used to shorten the throw of my
keyboard.  Being the type who likes adventure, could somebody PLEASE
tell me how to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Dom Alvear

[No .signature file, just this thing in brackets.]

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/11/89)

In article <1888@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adba@jhunix.UUCP (Dom Alvear) writes:
>Also, somebody posted an article stating you could punch out rubber
>spacers (or some such) that could be used to shorten the throw of my
>keyboard.  Being the type who likes adventure, could somebody PLEASE
>tell me how to do it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dom Alvear
>
>[No .signature file, just this thing in brackets.]

I was the one who posted the info on the rubber spacers.  This upgrade
works best on the original 520ST.

Get a sheet of 1/16 inch thick rubber.  Using a hole punch, punch out
a number of washers equal to the number of tiny screws on the bottom
of the keyboard.  Put a small hole in each washer, using a precision
screwdriver (or something that small).

Remove the screws and circuit board from the keyboard assembly.  Be
careful not to lose any of the rubber contact cups!  Place the washers
between the plastic keyboard assembly and the circuit board by putting
the screws into the circuit board, and fastening them with the washers.
Reassemble the keyboard and test.

This "upgrade" shortens the distance you have to go to make the keycap
contact the plastic plate underneath them.  It also alleviates some of
the spongyness in the keyboard.

However, I do NOT recommend you leave the MegaTouch upgrade in the
machine with the rubber washers in.  You may not make contact with
the circuit board if the keycap is propped up too high.

Diagram of the keyboard (side view):

             /----|     |-|  |-|  |-|
             |    |------ ---- --(| |
             |    |--------------(| |
             \----|     |-|  |-|  |-|

               |_keycap  |    |  | |_ circuit board
                         |    |  |_rubber contact cup
                         |    |_rubber washer (on small screws)
                         |_plastic plate

Hope that diagram helps.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic