[comp.sys.atari.st] Misplaced binaries

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (06/07/89)

I have recently noted several binaries posted to comp.sys.atari.st.
I can appreciate that people want to share their things, but I don't
appreciate having to wade through the inappropriate postings.

Please post your binaries to comp.binaries.atari.st. Steve Grimm is a nice
guy, and is usually pretty good about getting stuff posted to the
binaries newsgroup in short order.

Thanks for your consideration, netlanders...

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/07/89)

In article <1530@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> I have recently noted several binaries posted to comp.sys.atari.st.
> I can appreciate that people want to share their things, but I don't
> appreciate having to wade through the inappropriate postings.
>
> Please post your binaries to comp.binaries.atari.st. Steve Grimm is a nice
> guy, and is usually pretty good about getting stuff posted to the
> binaries newsgroup in short order.

This is typical of several messages on this subject.  I for one
appreciate any binaries werever they are found.  And few are ever found
in comp.binaries.atari.st.

However, to please the nay sayers, as I cannot  submit to a moderated
group (good old mailer), henceforth I will only say what I would have
posted and then trash the binary.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (06/08/89)

In article <616@lzaz.ATT.COM> hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>In article <1530@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>> Please post your binaries to comp.binaries.atari.st. Steve Grimm is a nice
>> guy, and is usually pretty good about getting stuff posted to the
>> binaries newsgroup in short order.

Thanks!

>This is typical of several messages on this subject.  I for one
>appreciate any binaries werever they are found.  And few are ever found
>in comp.binaries.atari.st.

I post everything that's sent to me.  Right now there're just three things
in the queue, and I'm about to go fix that.  Low volume on comp.binaries.
atari.st are due to a lack of submissions.  (OK, I do occasionally get
behind, when I'm busy, but never TOO badly...)

>However, to please the nay sayers, as I cannot  submit to a moderated
>group (good old mailer), henceforth I will only say what I would have
>posted and then trash the binary.

If you send mail to comp-binaries-atari-st at your favorite backbone site,
it should get to me; even better is atari-binaries@ssyx.ucsc.edu.

As someone else mentioned, binaries posted to comp.sys.atari.st aren't
archived on ssyx, which stinks for people who miss the original posting.

---
These are my opinions, which you can probably ignore if you want to.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

rmd@tellab5.tellabs.CHI.IL.US (Bob Dyas) (06/09/89)

>If you send mail to comp-binaries-atari-st at your favorite backbone site,
>it should get to me; even better is atari-binaries@ssyx.ucsc.edu.
>
>As someone else mentioned, binaries posted to comp.sys.atari.st aren't
>archived on ssyx, which stinks for people who miss the original posting.
>
>---
>These are my opinions, which you can probably ignore if you want to.
>Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
>koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

I for one have never received a response to my mail requests from the archive
server.  Supposedly sending mail with the word "help" in the body of the
message will cause a return message with information on how to access the
archives via mail.  Since we don't have FTP here, this would be handy.
I'm fairly certain my mail is making it there, since I sent test mail to a
dummy user and had it bounce all the way back.  Consequently, I don't mind
seeing postings to this group if someone suspects mail problems.  Better to
have the posting here than not at all.

				Bob Dyas
				USENET: ...!uunet!tellab5!rmd
				GENIE:  R.DYAS1
				COMPUSERV: 71541,3270 (R.DYAS)
				USMAIL:  Bob Dyas
					 23W467 Greenbriar Dr
					 Naperville, IL
						60540
--
				Bob Dyas
				USENET: ...!uunet!tellab5!rmd

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (06/12/89)

In article <7870@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>As someone else mentioned, binaries posted to comp.sys.atari.st aren't
>archived on ssyx, which stinks for people who miss the original posting.

They are, however, usually archived on terminator. I try to grab everything.

	ftp terminator.cc.umich.edu

		or

	mail atari@terminator.cc.umich.edu
	help