[comp.sys.atari.st] 16 Mhz, transputer, and 68881

Waddell@cup.portal.com (Harry Wallace Waddell) (06/10/89)

I am very much interested in adding more computational power my ST.
A few options come to mind right at the start, and

#1 a 16MHZ accelerator board
many variations on the theme exist, with differing levels of
performance improvement and compatibility. Has anyone run
QUINDEX (~v1.5) or a similar benchmark program to test the
climed increase in speed?

#2 Is there any way to add math coprocessor support to an ST
other than buying a MEGA :-(

#3 Does the [mythical] "transputer box" that hooks to the ST through
the DMA port exist and if so can I get it in the United States.
(or should I use this as an excuse for a European vacation)
What sort of speed does it have and what tools come with it.

I was hoping that a few netlanders could share some names and addresses of
vendors, or better yet some experience they have had with these products.
I'll be happy to post a synopsis of replys. Muchas Gracias.

I didn't express any opinions above.		Harry Waddell
So I'll let my disclaimer get some rest. ;-)	Waddell@cup.portal.com

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/13/89)

In article <19329@cup.portal.com> Waddell@cup.portal.com (Harry
Wallace Waddell) writes:
> #3 Does the [mythical] "transputer box" that hooks to the ST through
> the DMA port exist and if so can I get it in the United States.
> (or should I use this as an excuse for a European vacation)
> What sort of speed does it have and what tools come with it.

The ATW (Atari Transputer Workstation) is not mythical.  I don't know
about availability in the US, however.

I wouldn't say that it hooks to the ST through the DMA port -- I would
say the ST hooks to it.  The ATW *is* the box, and contains a Mega
inside to handle I/O so the T800 is free to scream away.  Even a single
Transputer is amazing at floating point operations, but the big
advantage is the ability to tie many of them together for a single task.