[comp.sys.atari.st] Names for ST's

zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) (06/06/89)

I don't yet have an ST but I'm going to buy a 1040 next week. The name that
I've chosen to call it is Stig ( as in "Stig of the (Core) Dump" - after a
character in a children's book of that name).

What do other people call their ST's (apart from stupid *#@!!@* machine) ?
Any _interesting_ names would be welcome.

Kevin

|  Kevin Rigotti   | Question : why do politicians never make their    |
|      DOC         | speeches sitting down ?                           |
| Imperial College | Answer : it would muffle their words.             |
| JANET : zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk                                         |

zmacu06@doc.ic.ac.uk (F S Taylor) (06/06/89)

In article <ZMACV91.89Jun6140605@flamingo.doc.ic.ac.uk> zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) writes:

>   I don't yet have an ST but I'm going to buy a 1040 next week. The name that
>   I've chosen to call it is Stig ( as in "Stig of the (Core) Dump" - after a
>   character in a children's book of that name).
>
>   What do other people call their ST's (apart from stupid *#@!!@* machine) ?
>   Any _interesting_ names would be welcome.

I call mine Stella.

>   Kevin

Frank.

--
|    Frank Taylor    | Engineers often ponder upon the problem...             |
|       DoC 1        | Why do the girls with the most streamlined shape offer |

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (CrackerJack) (06/09/89)

My first computer, an Exidy Sorcerer, I refered to as
<< The Necromancer >>.  My second machine was a PortPak and tended to
have a flaky power supply and so I named it << Oscar >> after I nicely
odd waiter friend. Machine three was a 1040 ST and was just called
<< Junoir >>. I now have a Mega 2 and his name is << Tyger >> after
the Tangerine Dream album of the same name which I bought at the same
time and liked so much.

Silly I know but it happens to the best of us :)

- Ant
   achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu      |  "Murdered by pirates is good."
 __                    _          |    - The Princess Bride (movie)
/   _  _  _ |/ _  _    | _  _ |/  |
\__| `<_\<_ |\|= | ` \_/<_\<_ |\  |                        disclaimer...

mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) (06/09/89)

In article <ZMACV91.89Jun6140605@flamingo.doc.ic.ac.uk> zmacv91@doc.ic.ac.uk (K D Rigotti) writes:
>What do other people call their ST's (apart from stupid *#@!!@* machine) ?
>Any _interesting_ names would be welcome.

Well. my machines official name is "Byron 3216" because I completely repackaged
my ST in a box I had lashed up for a National 32016 unix-board (which I
never got due to National's overpromising).  But across the front
of this rather sleek, low-lying box is a huge "VAX 11/780" sticker
(remnant of a thousand DEC wars) so everybody just calls it "VAX".

Which begs the question: just how similar are the two in power?

No idea.  Anyone have a suggestion?

--
Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (06/10/89)

I'll bet you also have a name for ... never mind.

Just don't call your ST "Stacy" -- you'll get confused later on when you
buy the laptop.

sylvia.jumaga@canremote.uucp (SYLVIA JUMAGA) (06/10/89)

Names for computers...  Ah, my specialty!  Since I have three computers
(One ST, two 8-bits.) I have choose to name them Nick, Ace, and Ace.
So, hense the saying: This is my computeNick, my computer Ace, and my
other computer Ace.  (For all of you Newhart fans out there!!!)

I also have this thing about naming every peice of hardware...  Ah heck,
here goes:

130XE - Ace
65XE - Nick
520STfm - Ace
1050 - Balki
XF551 - Overload
XM301 - Peanut
Axiom Interface - Smiley
Roland 1012 - Captain
SupraModem 2400 - Slick
Taxan Monitor - Trojan
1027 - Teresa

Okay, so I'm strange!  But anyways...

Bye for now,
  ___________________
 /__ \/ /  / / / /\
___/ / /__ \/ / /-/

 * QNet 1.03a2: Bert's Bulletin Board. Brandon, Man.

cape@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Robert Cape) (06/13/89)

In article <27034@watmath.waterloo.edu> mwtilden@watmath.waterloo.edu (M.W.Tilden, Hardware) writes:

>Well. my machines official name is "Byron 3216" because I completely repackaged
>my ST in a box I had lashed up for a National 32016 unix-board (which I
>never got due to National's overpromising).  But across the front
>of this rather sleek, low-lying box is a huge "VAX 11/780" sticker
>(remnant of a thousand DEC wars) so everybody just calls it "VAX".
>--
>Mark Tilden: _-_-_-__--__--_      /(glitch!)  M.F.C.F Hardware Design Lab.
>-_-___       |              \  /\/            U of Waterloo. Ont. Can, N2L-3G1
>     |__-_-_-|               \/               (519) - 885 - 1211 ext.2454,
>"MY OPINIONS, YOU HEAR!? MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! MINE! AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!"

Interesting!  For quite a while I've been thinking about repackaging my 1040.
How did you handle the keyboard?  My understanding of the keyboard is that it
is connected via a serial link.

I'd like to put the whole business into a vertically mounted pc case and be
rid of the mass of cables, switch boxes, drives, etc.

Has anyone done this already?

Will a Mega keyboard work with the 1040?

Anyone attempted hooking up an enhanced pc keyboard (or other variety)?

Regards,

Bob

Robert M. Cape	[r.cape@stpaul.ncr.com] or [{backbone}!ncrlnk!ncrcce!cape]
612-638-7211

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (06/13/89)

Sybil.  Kinda weird, but it looks nice on a index card stuck on top of the
monitor.  I had an Alex, he died.  I had a Carlson, IT died.  Sybil is my
PT-68K, I haven't thought of a name for my 1024ST yet.  I was thinking about
Gerard. (sp?)

--
         "If I cannot create it, I do not understand it"
                                        -Richard Feynman

TK0GRM1@NIU.BITNET (Gordon Meyer) (06/14/89)

A close friend of mine, who owns an ST also, calls his "STu"...
pronounced "stew"...as in ST and YOU.  Thus mine became
STu2 since I bought mine after him.   I've since bought *another*
ST..this one a 1040..which has become know as STu Junior.

Gee..that was an easy question to answer !
-=->G<-=-

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) (06/14/89)

In article <1545@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>I'll bet you also have a name for ... never mind.

Uh... I don't think so.  I don't think I have one.  :-)

>Just don't call your ST "Stacy" -- you'll get confused later on when you
>buy the laptop.

Sorry, but my ST was named "Stacy" over 2 years before the laptop.  I'm
afraid you will have to change the laptop's name or license it for big
bucks from me.  (*grin*)

Whoever decided to call the thing "Stacy" anyway?  No offense to anyone,
but it sure doesn't seem like the kind of name meant to impress anyone...

First I had Stacy... then we got Stud... then we bought a 520 (Stacy and
Stud are 1040s) and named it Stoopid... then there's Einstein... and the
others don't have names.

stowe@silver.indiana.bacs.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.