[comp.sys.atari.st] Posting programs

kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) (06/06/89)

Why are folks posting source/executables to this newsgroup?  Has
comp.sources.atari.st (or whatever it's called) died?  If not, could
the generous souls who are posting source to this group please restrain
themselves and post thier source/executables there?

Thanks,

Paul Kerchen				| kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (06/07/89)

| Why are folks posting source/executables to this newsgroup?  Has
| comp.sources.atari.st (or whatever it's called) died?  If not, could
| the generous souls who are posting source to this group please restrain
| themselves and post thier source/executables there?
|
| ----------

I'd like to second this request, if for no other reason that postings to this
notesgroup do not get archived, while postings to comp.binaries etc. *do* get
archived at the ssyx server.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (06/07/89)

kerchen@iris.ucdavis.edu (Paul Kerchen) writes:

>Why are folks posting source/executables to this newsgroup?  Has
>comp.sources.atari.st (or whatever it's called) died?  ...

While the request to send sources to 'comp.sources.atari.st' and binaries
to 'comp.binaries.atari.st' (or better yet, mail the stuff directly to the
moderator of both groups, Steven Grimm) is indeed something to consider, I
would nevertheless like to put an answer to that question. People post
sources/executables here because they want them to reach the net and reach
it fast, especially if they're afraid that the moderator wouldn't think the
stuff to be worthwhile.

Martin
--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

stowe@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Fox in Sox) (06/14/89)

In article <386@nixpbe.UUCP> mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) writes:

> People post
>sources/executables here because they want them to reach the net and reach
>it fast, especially if they're afraid that the moderator wouldn't think the
>stuff to be worthwhile.

However, what you've failed to consider is that having a moderator also
helps protect in whatever slight way the net from sending along a virus.
In addition, those groups were voted to be moderated groups.

If someone would like to consider unmoderated groups, then take it to
news.groups or some other appropriate place.

Until then, this group is for discussion.  The binaries group is for
binaries.  The sources group is for sources.

Seems easy enough to me.

Follow-ups directed to news.groups where they belong.

stowe@silver.indiana.bacs.edu                    At night the Ice Weasels come.