[comp.sys.atari.st] sound effects in C for the ST

covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (06/13/89)

	Does anyone have any C code to add sound effects to C programs??
I have written a small utility program that I want to add sounds to,
but other then the sample program in the Bantam book "Atari ST Application
Proramming" by Lawrence J. Pollack and Eric J.T. Weber, I don't have any
code.

	The problem with the Bantam code is that it doesn't allow you to
incorporate sounds produced by ST Replay or any of the audio digitizers
for the ST. Ideally, I would like actual C code to use sounds created with
the audio digitizers. I do own G.I.S.T., but GIST hasn't been updated in
years, and besides GIST is a C library which won't work with Mark Williams
C version 3.

	So, does anyone have any C code to do this?? I would sure appreciate
any help given.

TIA.

Richard (gtephx!covertr) Covert

greg@bilbo (Greg Wageman) (06/14/89)

In article <43cb2dc5.14a1f@gtephx.UUCP> covertr@gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

>	The problem with the Bantam code is that it doesn't allow you to
>incorporate sounds produced by ST Replay or any of the audio digitizers
>for the ST. Ideally, I would like actual C code to use sounds created with
>the audio digitizers. I do own G.I.S.T., but GIST hasn't been updated in
>years, and besides GIST is a C library which won't work with Mark Williams
>C version 3.

G.I.S.T. will, in fact, work with Mark Williams C versions 2 and 3.
The trick is to use the Alcyon library from G.I.S.T., and run it
through the Alcyon-to-MWC converter that MWC provides.  You will have
to call the entry points by the appropriate names; apparently the
Alcyon object format only supports seven-character names, with the
underscores at the wrong end.  You can use the MWC utilities to find
out what these names are.  I've done this and it works fine.

Longish .signature follows.  Skip now.

Greg Wageman			DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   ...!uunet!sjsca4!greg
1601 Technology Drive		BIX:    gwage
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		CIS:    74016,352
(408) 437-5198			GEnie:  G.WAGEMAN
"Live Free; Die Anyway."
Opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the author.