[comp.sys.atari.st] NEC P2200 compatibility

"chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM (06/12/89)

In his Thu, 1 Jun 89 14:56 N Roger Hunen writes:

>If you have a NEC P2200 connected to your ST *without* modifica-
     tion, DISCONNECT it now.The 1 kOhm pull-up resistors on the Cen-
     tronics interface of the NEC will eventually kill the sound chip
     of your ST.<

Has anyone out there actually had their ST damaged by using it with a
P2200? Until Mr. Hunen posted his fix for the problem I didn't know it
existed - I had to call NEC (UK) to get some driver software for my ST to
dump Degas correctly on my new P2200, and they didn't mention any hardware
compatibility problem at that time.

I'd like to use a printer buffer on my system, to allow me to keep on
working while printing Degas or CAD frames, which take forever. Would such
a buffer provide the correct pull-ups? Or would it also be likely to damage
the ST? Has anyone tried it? I don't really want to make up Mr. Hunen's fix
box only to make it redundant afterwards by buying a printer buffer.

Anyone got any clues?

Regards,

Chaz

PS This problem seems to be related to the numerous problems and fixes
associated with fitting an IBM-type 5.25" disc drive - one has to buffer a
number of lines controlling the drive, which are also generated by the
wretched sound chip. Is there no way of buffering the chip itself, and thus
killing a number of birds with one stone? Anyone tried it, before I get my
soldering iron out?

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/13/89)

In article <890612-090337-12728@Xerox>, "chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:
> In his Thu, 1 Jun 89 14:56 N Roger Hunen writes:
>
> >If you have a NEC P2200 connected to your ST *without* modifica-
>      tion, DISCONNECT it now.The 1 kOhm pull-up resistors on the Cen-
>      tronics interface of the NEC will eventually kill the sound chip
>      of your ST.<
>
> Has anyone out there actually had their ST damaged by using it with a
> P2200? Until Mr. Hunen posted his fix for the problem I didn't know it
> existed - I had to call NEC (UK) to get some driver software for my ST to
> dump Degas correctly on my new P2200, and they didn't mention any hardware
> compatibility problem at that time.
>
> I'd like to use a printer buffer on my system, to allow me to keep on
> working while printing Degas or CAD frames, which take forever. Would such
> a buffer provide the correct pull-ups? Or would it also be likely to damage
> the ST? Has anyone tried it? I don't really want to make up Mr. Hunen's fix
> box only to make it redundant afterwards by buying a printer buffer.
>
> Anyone got any clues?

What is being overlooked is that the specs on chips are 'guaranteed' minimums.
Thus while the sound chip guarantees to sink 1.6 ma, it doen not mean that
it wont do better than that.

Also, from the various specs posted, it would appear that not all lines may
have 1000 ohm pull ups on different devices.  If only a couple (control)
lines need 5 ma, it may not be noticed.

Also, as was previously pointed out, the first order effect of a 1000 ohm
pullup is that the ON signal will not pull to 0.3 volts, but instead to a
higher level, which may or may not be interpreted correctly.  Marginal
performance would be the likely result.

It is more likely that a 1000 ohm device will fail to work before it could
damage the ST.

On Bus repeaters and electronic printer switches:
If they have 1000 ohm terminators, same problem.  The one I have works
on long leads so I'd say its designed to use lower currents.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

schuster@dasys1.UUCP (Michael Schuster) (06/19/89)

In article <890612-090337-12728@Xerox> "chaz_heritage.WGC1RX"@XEROX.COM writes:

>Has anyone out there actually had their ST damaged by using it with a
>P2200? Until Mr. Hunen posted his fix for the problem I didn't know it
>existed - I had to call NEC (UK) to get some driver software for my ST to
>dump Degas correctly on my new P2200, and they didn't mention any hardware
>compatibility problem at that time.

Once again, leave it to Atari to provide "fake compatibility". They give you
industry-standard connectors and pinouts, but incredibly bizarre signal
handling! The original TOS would not handshake the RS232 lines properly.
The printer port is incompatible with a printer that NO OTHER COMPUTER
has a problem with. I could go on .....

I've seen THREE locals dump the P2200 because of constant random errors in
graphics printouts (e.g. PageStream/Pub Partner). I experienced them too, but
added a printer buffer. That solved the problem.

To answer your question --- I don't know if this is related, but I was having
big compatibility problems exchanging both 3.5" and 5.25" IBM-formatted
floppies between my Atari and my PC. Every time the ST wrote something to
the inner tracks, the PC would think the disk was damaged. Curiously
enough, this problem VANISHED when I connected a MicroFazer between my P2200
and my Atari. Now, since the ST is the only computer in existence that
has an intimate link between an unbuffered parallel port and an several
unbuffered signals going to the floppies ....Coincidence?

--
l\  /l'   _  Mike Schuster          ...!dasys1!schuster
l \/ lll/(_  Big Electric Cat       schuster@dasys1.UUCP   CIS:70346,1745