[comp.sys.atari.st] Installing a second hard drive

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (06/19/89)

    I'm about ready to purchase a second hard drive mechanism and am
going to add it to my SH204, as per the instructions in the Winter 87
issue of Start magazine.
    The article seems to imply that the Atari software is unable to
recognize a second "unit".
    To save myself a LOT of grief, especially when/if TOS 1.4 is
available, can someone give some insight on this?  Also, if the
Berkeley upgrade chip for the SH204 is purchased, will it take care of
the software being unable to recognize the second unit?
    Many thanks!

Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/19/89)

In article <890618.21271754.017550@SFA.CP6>, Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:

>     I'm about ready to purchase a second hard drive mechanism and am
> going to add it to my SH204, as per the instructions in the Winter 87
> issue of Start magazine.
>     The article seems to imply that the Atari software is unable to
> recognize a second "unit".
>     To save myself a LOT of grief, especially when/if TOS 1.4 is
> available, can someone give some insight on this?  Also, if the
> Berkeley upgrade chip for the SH204 is purchased, will it take care of
> the software being unable to recognize the second unit?
>     Many thanks!
>
> Larry Rymal <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

TOS will not solve the problem.
BMS upgrade chip will solve the provblem.

The ATARI Driver and formatter only support 1 drive, (logical unit 0) on
each SCSI device. Period.

When you add the second drive (Easy), you need more general software.
Currently the SUPRA software is available from SUPRA, or their dealers.
Apparently, Supra allows their dealers to make you a copy of the software.
(Dont use ICD, its got some traps in it to make it fail on other hardware.)

will ask you about more than 1 LUN on a SCSI device.
And, you need a driver (replaces AHDI) that will look at more that one
LUN per SCSI device.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj