[comp.sys.atari.st] Help with hooking up a SONY DS mechanism

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (06/09/89)

I have just purchased a SONY double sided mechanism (floppy 3.5in drive)
and wish to replace my very old super performing SS drives. Does anyone on
the net know how I can do such a thing, while using my case. I noticed the four
pin plug which I assume is for power...but the plugs for the Sony and the board
in side the case are very different..
if possible reply to me..if you can not then post...
Oh and one other minor request..
can some one tell me where I can get an implemtation of TeX for the ST.
as in the complete deal, not little pieces here and there...
thanks

no cute signature....                -Ajay Choudhri

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/11/89)

In article <1887@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>I have just purchased a SONY double sided mechanism (floppy 3.5in drive)
>and wish to replace my very old super performing SS drives. Does anyone on
>the net know how I can do such a thing, while using my case. I noticed the four
>pin plug which I assume is for power...but the plugs for the Sony and the board
>in side the case are very different..
Rest deleted...

All you have to do is to unplug the adapter board from the old SS drive,
and plug in the Sony drive.  I haven't messed around with the SONY
drive, but I have found that on many 1/3 height drives, the power and
data connectors are upside-down.  The manual for the drive should give
you a hint if this is so on your drive.  Just plug in the power and data
cables from the adapter board, and you're in business!

If you get flaky performance from the drive (the drive works sometimes,
but doesn't at other times), then you have a drive that is not
compatible with the ST.  I kinda doubt the Sony will have this problem,
but one Toshiba ND-352 I bought did.  Ended up selling it.

By the way, has anybody successfully hooked up a MITSUMI drive to the
ST?  I can get a new drive w/ mounting kit pretty cheap, and would like
to know if it anybody has any experience with it before I risk my money
on it.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (06/12/89)

In article <899@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:
>In article <1887@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>>I have just purchased a SONY double sided mechanism (floppy 3.5in drive)
>>and wish to replace my very old super performing SS drives. Does anyone on
>>the net know how I can do such a thing, while using my case. I noticed the four
>>pin plug which I assume is for power...but the plugs for the Sony and the board
>>in side the case are very different..<----HERE's the problem!!
>Rest deleted...
>
>All you have to do is to unplug the adapter board from the old SS drive,
>and plug in the Sony drive.
 I cant just plug the drive in becasue, the plug in the SONY drive is different
from the plug coming out of the adapter board in the SS drive case...
anyway I know the pinouts to the adaptor board plug but need help finding the
pinouts for the SONY, or a different method to hook it up...
any help would be appreciated..
  -Ajay Choudhri
Dreamer Extraordinaire...
To fly in two easy steps... 1) jump towards the ground(diving might help)
                            2) miss the ground(not tooo hard)
the author(ok this aint original) takes no responsibility of inconveniences
suffered by this activity above forementioned..

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/13/89)

<message deleted 'cause subject says it all>

What is the model number on that drive?

If it doesn't have the standard 34 pin connector on it, and you didn't
buy it brand new, chances are very good that it is an OEM part made
for some manufacturer by Sony.

The pins SHOULD have the right signals, and it's just a matter of
building a cable.  You might be able to get the pin-outs from Sony.

Again, post the model number!

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (06/14/89)

In article <922@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:
><message deleted 'cause subject says it all>
>
>What is the model number on that drive?

The model number is MP-f63W-72D...
>If it doesn't have the standard 34 pin connector on it, and you didn't
>buy it brand new, chances are very good that it is an OEM part made
>for some manufacturer by Sony.
It has a 34 pin male connectore, the pins are in two rows of 17.
anyway, if you or anyone has the pinouts, I can build the cable...

 | What I like :
 | 1) My Atari ST    <----\
 | 2) My '77 Mercury       > Very good taste I can see..
 | 3) Coke Classic   <----/
Thanks for all and any help..
  -Ajay Choudhri

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/18/89)

In article <1916@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>In article <922@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:
>><message deleted 'cause subject says it all>
>>
>>What is the model number on that drive?
>>

>The model number is MP-f63W-72D...
>>If it doesn't have the standard 34 pin connector on it, and you didn't
>>buy it brand new, chances are very good that it is an OEM part made
>>for some manufacturer by Sony.
>It has a 34 pin male connectore, the pins are in two rows of 17.
>anyway, if you or anyone has the pinouts, I can build the cable...
>>
> | What I like :
> | 1) My Atari ST    <----\
> | 2) My '77 Mercury       > Very good taste I can see..
> | 3) Coke Classic   <----/

                        ^
                        |_  what about my Mercury????    :^)

Geez, this is gonna be EASY!

What's wrong?  I don't understand.  The 34 pin connector on the Sony
is standard.  The 34 pin ribbon cable on the SS drive's circuit board
should just plug right in.  If it doesn't work, try turning the cable
upside-down and use it.  Some drives put the connector on backwards.

Just for clarity:  The SS circuit board is the rectangular board with
the 14-pin ST drive cable ports on it.

If you want to hook up the drive without this circuit board, it can be
done too.

Seriously, what is the problem??????

>Thanks for all and any help..
>  -Ajay Choudhri

You welcome.

storkamp@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com (Mark Storkamp, 408-998-0123 (ex 2079)) (06/19/89)

In article <935@ultb.UUCP>, clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
> In article <1916@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_bac@jhunix.UUCP (Ajay Choudhri) writes:
>>In article <922@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser (709ITP)) writes:
>>><message deleted 'cause subject says it all>
>>>
>>>What is the model number on that drive?
>>>

>>The model number is MP-f63W-72D...
>>>If it doesn't have the standard 34 pin connector on it, and you didn't
>>>buy it brand new, chances are very good that it is an OEM part made
>>>for some manufacturer by Sony.
>>It has a 34 pin male connectore, the pins are in two rows of 17.
>>anyway, if you or anyone has the pinouts, I can build the cable...
>>>
>> | What I like :
>> | 1) My Atari ST    <----\
>> | 2) My '77 Mercury       > Very good taste I can see..
>> | 3) Coke Classic   <----/
>
>                         ^
>                         |_  what about my Mercury????    :^)
>
> Geez, this is gonna be EASY!
>
> What's wrong?  I don't understand.  The 34 pin connector on the Sony
> is standard.  The 34 pin ribbon cable on the SS drive's circuit board
> should just plug right in.  If it doesn't work, try turning the cable
> upside-down and use it.  Some drives put the connector on backwards.
>
> Just for clarity:  The SS circuit board is the rectangular board with
> the 14-pin ST drive cable ports on it.
>
> If you want to hook up the drive without this circuit board, it can be
> done too.
>
> Seriously, what is the problem??????

I'm not sure what his poblem is, but my problem when I upgraded a very
old Atari ST SS drive to DS was that the original Atari drive did not
have the 'standard' 34 pin connector, it had a single row with something
like 10 or 11 pins. The board to interface the 14-pin ST drive cable
to the drive had some active circuitry on it. I had to trace out the
drive connections and match them up with the 34-pin connector and build
a custom cable. I'm afraid I can't post a wire-list for the cable since
I sold the drive when I upgraded to a Mega.

>>Thanks for all and any help..
>>  -Ajay Choudhri
>
> You welcome.
>
> Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
> BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
> USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
> "Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic

Mark STorkamp, Schlumberger Technologies | What I like :
CIS: 73637,3016  GENIE: M.STORKAMP       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: reply                            | 2) My '86 Rotary Rocket (RX-7)
Sig file under construction              | 3) Coke Classic (of course)

ritchie@hpldola.HP.COM (Dave Ritchie) (06/20/89)

>>The model number is MP-f63W-72D...
>>>If it doesn't have the standard 34 pin connector on it, and you didn't
>>>buy it brand new, chances are very good that it is an OEM part made
>>>for some manufacturer by Sony.
>>It has a 34 pin male connectore, the pins are in two rows of 17.
>>anyway, if you or anyone has the pinouts, I can build the cable...
>>>

>What's wrong?  I don't understand.  The 34 pin connector on the Sony
>is standard.  The 34 pin ribbon cable on the SS drive's circuit board
>should just plug right in.  If it doesn't work, try turning the cable
>upside-down and use it.  Some drives put the connector on backwards.
>Seriously, what is the problem??????
>>Thanks for all and any help..
>>  -Ajay Choudhri
>Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :

   This is not true for all Sony drives. For example, the OEM drives
that Sony makes for HP have the power connectors replacing some of the
lines that would normally be used for grounds. Also, they are strapped
to run at 600 RPM instead of 300 RPM. I would suggest getting the
schematic from Sony if you are not certain how to hook the drive up.
					Dave Ritchie