[comp.sys.atari.st] Setting the seek rate

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") (06/15/89)

I wonder if there is a LEGAL way to set the current seek rate (for using
5 1/4''-drives...). What happened to the function Getdsb() in the
original DR-Gemdos?

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (06/17/89)

In article <8906151157.AA03321@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") writes:
| I wonder if there is a LEGAL way to set the current seek rate (for using
| 5 1/4''-drives...). What happened to the function Getdsb() in the
| original DR-Gemdos?

The newest TOS adds the Floprate() xbios call which does just that. For
earlier TOS versions, it is necessary to use the undocumented BIOS dsb
locations.  These will be described in the documentation that comes
with the new TOS.  Atari has also released a program (I believe it is
called PCF554.PRG, because it was released to support the Atari PC
external drives), available on several online services and probably from
Atari Customer Relations, which sets the correct seek rate for using the
PCF554 as drive B.

The Getdsb() call (if it existed) would have given you a different dsb
than the BIOS dsb.  GEMDOS also has a dsb, which is actually only an
extension to the bpb that you get from Getbpb().  The function went away
apparently because whoever was working on GEMDOS at the time felt it was
redundant.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") (06/19/89)

Ken Badertscher writes:

>The newest TOS adds the Floprate() xbios call which does just that. For
>earlier TOS versions, it is necessary to use the undocumented BIOS dsb
>locations.  These will be described in the documentation that comes
>with the new TOS.  Atari has also released a program (I believe it is
>called PCF554.PRG, because it was released to support the Atari PC
>external drives), available on several online services and probably from
>Atari Customer Relations, which sets the correct seek rate for using the
>PCF554 as drive B.

Thanx for the support Ken. But now for the next question:

Is there a officially approved method to determine wether the TOS 1.4-
enhancements to the AES are present (knowing that there IS an
implementation of GEM 2.1 from a dutch company, that doesn't know
about wind_new and fsel_exinput)...

Equally, IF one day there is an Atari-GEM <= 2.1, will it have the
enhancements from PC-GEM (menu_unregister, Accessories with menus etc.)?

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (06/20/89)

In article <8906191106.AA27714@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ONM07@DMSWWU1A.BITNET ("Julian F. Reschke") writes:
| Is there a officially approved method to determine wether the TOS 1.4-
| enhancements to the AES are present

Yes, use the AES version number returned by appl_init in the first word
of your application's `global' AES array.

| (knowing that there IS an
| implementation of GEM 2.1 from a dutch company, that doesn't know
| about wind_new and fsel_exinput)...

We are not, nor can we be reasonably expected to be, responsible for
third party replacements for parts of TOS.  It is their responsiblity to
"follow the rules," not vice versa.

| Equally, IF one day there is an Atari-GEM <= 2.1, will it have the
| enhancements from PC-GEM (menu_unregister, Accessories with menus etc.)?

TOS and PC-GEM are divergent as of the first release of TOS.  Of
course we shall endeavor to be as compatible as we can with the newer
GEM versions, but TOS is not PC-GEM.  It is mostly compatible in terms
of the programming interface - but TOS has some enhancments over PC-GEM
and vice versa.  We shall continue to do our best to add whatever
enhancements ST users request, within reason.