[comp.sys.atari.st] BMS upgrade chip for 204 HD ?

remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) (06/20/89)

I would like to connect a second HD drive to my Atari host adapter.
There seems to be an upgrade chip from Berkeley Micro Systems to
make this possible.

Questions:
    1) Which chip from the adaptor board is this ?
    2) Where do I get this chip (i.e. what is the address of BMS) ?
    3) What is the price ?
    4) Are there other interesting things with reference to this chip ?

Thanks a lot,

Remco
 Remco Bruijne      USENET: remco@tnoibbc    PHONE: +31 15 606437

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/21/89)

In article <1240@tnoibbc.UUCP>, remco@tnoibbc.UUCP (Remco Bruyne) writes:
> I would like to connect a second HD drive to my Atari host adapter.
> There seems to be an upgrade chip from Berkeley Micro Systems to
> make this possible.
>
> Questions:
>     1) Which chip from the adaptor board is this ?
>     2) Where do I get this chip (i.e. what is the address of BMS) ?
>     3) What is the price ?
>     4) Are there other interesting things with reference to this chip ?

1) only one chip (a PLA) is pluggable.  Thats the one.
2)

Vance Chin                 Berkeley Microsystems
                           P.O. Box 20119
                           Oakland, CA  94620
1-415-547-2191
3) about $20, USA.
4) Without the chip, you have to patch the driver to limit it to 2 drives,
   as it will think all 8 are there.
   With the chip, the SH204 will work (well) , like the BMS and SUPRA.
   --As your drives starts to fail, the chip will pass error reports back
 	to TOS, and warn you somewhat of impending doom.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com