[comp.sys.atari.st] EZRAM II info needed

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/22/89)

I've been offered a brand new EZRAM II board with 2 megs of brand new 120ns
1mbit DRAMs for $285.  Is this a good price?  I seem to remember several
people talking about the pluses and minuses of various boards, but I don't
seem to remember how the EZRAM II fared in the discussion.  I have not seen
the board yet, but does anyone know if it will fit under the RF shielding in
my 1040ST?  I've installed a fan on top of the shield and I would rather keep
the fan where it is.  I'm supposed to make some sort of decision on the board
in a day or two so fire up that terminal and let me know what you think. :-)
Thanks!

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Columbia U, where the women
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |are few and the sheep are
(c)All rights reserved.       |nervous.  :-)
------------------------------+---------------------------

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (06/22/89)

In article <8906220244.AA08485@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> I've been offered a brand new EZRAM II board with 2 megs of brand new 120ns
> 1mbit DRAMs for $285.  Is this a good price?  I seem to remember several
> people talking about the pluses and minuses of various boards, but I don't
> seem to remember how the EZRAM II fared in the discussion.  I have not seen
> the board yet, but does anyone know if it will fit under the RF shielding in
> my 1040ST?  I've installed a fan on top of the shield and I would rather keep

EZRAMII is a good version of a solderless ram upgrade.   It wants you
to toss the video shifter shield, but the big one survives.

However, for a 2 meg upgrade you should use the 100 ns drams.
the 120 ns are best in the 256k drams which would not increase you memory
at all. ( remember you start with 1 meg, subract .5 meg, and add the addon
memory; yield 2.5 meg with 1meg drams, 1.0 meg with 256k drams.)

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/23/89)

In article <645@lzaz.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
> In article <8906220244.AA08485@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> >
> > I've been offered a brand new EZRAM II board with 2 megs of brand new 120ns
> > 1mbit DRAMs for $285.  Is this a good price?  I seem to remember several
> However, for a 2 meg upgrade you should use the 100 ns drams.
>
> Howard C. Johnson
> ATT Bell Labs
> att!lzaz!hcj
> hcj@lzaz.att.com
[The above is heavily edited, of course]

I'd like to hear more about this.  On paper, 120 ns DRAM is just right for
the ST design, and people tell me that ST-s work just fine with selected units
of nominally 150 ns DRAM.  What makes faster memory parts more desirable in
larger configurations?  (This is taking the Atari custom chips as a given, so
there's no option of speeding up the system clock).  And that price sure sounds
good: board + chips for the price of the chips.
                                      Steve J.

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (06/23/89)

In article <8755@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>In article <645@lzaz.ATT.COM>, hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) writes:
>> In article <8906220244.AA08485@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>> >
>> > I've been offered a brand new EZRAM II board with 2 megs of brand new 120ns
>> > 1mbit DRAMs for $285.  Is this a good price?  I seem to remember several
>> However, for a 2 meg upgrade you should use the 100 ns drams.
>>
>> Howard C. Johnson
>> ATT Bell Labs
>> att!lzaz!hcj
>> hcj@lzaz.att.com
>[The above is heavily edited, of course]
>
>I'd like to hear more about this.  On paper, 120 ns DRAM is just right for
>the ST design, and people tell me that ST-s work just fine with selected units
>of nominally 150 ns DRAM.  What makes faster memory parts more desirable in
>larger configurations?  (This is taking the Atari custom chips as a given, so
>there's no option of speeding up the system clock).  And that price sure sounds
>good: board + chips for the price of the chips.
>                                      Steve J.

The reason for using faster 1 meg rams is that their quality is higher.
Early masks of toshiba 1 meg drams were very prone to noise - the 100 and
80 ns parts were more immune.  The st doesn't need anything faster
than 150ns.  If the memory board is properly designed then slow
parts should work just fine.
/leonard