[comp.sys.atari.st] Rubber Spacers to Shorten Keyboard Throw?

ins_adba@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dom Alvear) (06/14/89)

OK.  I am trying to get an answer to my question, but nobody seems to
know or care.  I'll try one more time.

Back some time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, there was a net
posting that stated you could shorten the throw of the 520/1040
keyboards by adding rubber spacers under the key assembly.  I was
wondering if anybody might have captured this beast?  If so, would
that kind soul please reproduce it here?

Thanks in advance,

Dom

[Nope, I don't have a .signature file, I'm not that creative...]

randyh@hpsad.HP.COM (Randy Hosler) (06/16/89)

I got this back on the 12th.

randyh

>Also, somebody posted an article stating you could punch out rubber
>spacers (or some such) that could be used to shorten the throw of my
>keyboard.  Being the type who likes adventure, could somebody PLEASE
>tell me how to do it?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dom Alvear
>
>[No .signature file, just this thing in brackets.]

I was the one who posted the info on the rubber spacers.  This upgrade
works best on the original 520ST.

Get a sheet of 1/16 inch thick rubber.  Using a hole punch, punch out
a number of washers equal to the number of tiny screws on the bottom
of the keyboard.  Put a small hole in each washer, using a precision
screwdriver (or something that small).

Remove the screws and circuit board from the keyboard assembly.  Be
careful not to lose any of the rubber contact cups!  Place the washers
between the plastic keyboard assembly and the circuit board by putting
the screws into the circuit board, and fastening them with the washers.
Reassemble the keyboard and test.

This "upgrade" shortens the distance you have to go to make the keycap
contact the plastic plate underneath them.  It also alleviates some of
the spongyness in the keyboard.

However, I do NOT recommend you leave the MegaTouch upgrade in the
machine with the rubber washers in.  You may not make contact with
the circuit board if the keycap is propped up too high.

Diagram of the keyboard (side view):

             /----|     |-|  |-|  |-|
             |    |------ ---- --(| |
             |    |--------------(| |
             \----|     |-|  |-|  |-|

               ^         ^    ^  ^ ^
               |_keycap  |    |  | |_ circuit board
                         |    |  |_rubber contact cup
                         |    |_rubber washer (on small screws)
                         |_plastic plate

Hope that diagram helps.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/18/89)

In article <1915@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adba@jhunix.UUCP (Dom Alvear) writes:
>OK.  I am trying to get an answer to my question, but nobody seems to
>know or care.  I'll try one more time.

Well, I did reply, but I guess it never got to you.

>Back some time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away, there was a net
>posting that stated you could shorten the throw of the 520/1040
>keyboards by adding rubber spacers under the key assembly.  I was
>wondering if anybody might have captured this beast?  If so, would
>that kind soul please reproduce it here?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dom
>
>[Nope, I don't have a .signature file, I'm not that creative...]

I'm the one who came up with this nifty upgrade.
I'll go over it once again.

Get a sheet of 1/16 inch thick rubber, punch out 20 washers using a
hole punch.  Put a small hole in the center of these washers.
Remove the keyboard assembly from your ST.  Look at the bottom.
See the small screws?  Take them out.  Place the washers on the inside
of the circuit board, using them to put a space between the circuit
board and the plastic keycap assembly (which the screw goes into when
you tighten it).

If all was done right, the throw is reduced.  If you use those horrible
MegaTouch things, take them out.  The silicone contacts won't reach the
circuit board if they are in at the same time as the washers.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic

ins_adba@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dom Alvear) (06/22/89)

Chris,

I haven't gotten the hang of adding the '>' stuff to other's messages,
but I'd like to thank you for posting that for me.  I'll have to try
it out as soon as I get the time to fiddle with my computer.  Again,
thanks for the help.

Dom

c60c-3ds@web-1a.berkeley.edu (John Kawakami) (06/24/89)

I used bamboo shish kebab skewers to shorten the key travel.  I just cut the
tapered end off, and glue it onto the board with a few dots of rubber
cement.  The keycaps will hit the skewer instead of the board.  I admit
that this is not as neat as the previously mentioned method; but it's a
lost easier to do.

You can also remove the things if you don't like them.  I'm doing that
this weekend.

         John Kawakami              |        imakawaK nhoJ
   c60c-3ds@web.berkeley.edu        |    pauL_is_deaD@walrusvaX