[comp.sys.atari.st] UUE

S82895@prime-a.plymouth.ac.UK ("R. A. Quadling") (04/13/89)

Hello Chris Edington.

UUE is a UNIX program (so I have been told, but more on that later) which will
convert an 8-bit binary file (in fact it can be used on any file:7-bit or 8-bit)
to a 7-bit file.

UUD works the other way. It reconstitutes a 7-bit for to an 8-bit file.

PURPOSE: Some networks will only transmit 7-bits, so computer s/w usually needs
         encoding so that it can be UUEncode/SENT -> RECEIVED/UUDecoded without
         losing the data.

The original versions of these programs were written in 'C' for UNIX machines,
but the code has been successfully converted to run as a UUE.TTP and UUD.TTP

When using UUE.TTP (I have a fairly new version for my own use, so the operation
may be slightly different to what I do and what you do.), you double-click on
UUE.TTP and enter the filename to be encoded. On my version, I can enter a
command to create several files of UUEncoded data, each with a set number of
lines.
Eg: To UUEncode a file called MYPROG.PRG I would enter in the TTP dialog,

    MYPROG.PRG

If I wanted to create files that only had 500 lines in (512 lines is about 32K)
I would enter,

    -500 MYPROG.PRG

The reason for being able to set the file size (this in effect is what you are
doing when you set the number of lines) is that certain mailers will discard
the file after a certain amount has been read. (It is very difficult to give a
perfect size, but I have not had any problems with using files of 512 lines.)

When using UUD.TTP, you would do exactly the same, except that you do not need
to give a filesize. There is a different option available with UUD.TTP. It is

-d

Therefore, to decode a file,

MYPROG.UUE

If the encoded file is just 1 file. OR

MYPROG.UAA

Multiple files created by UUE are have the extendor .UAA then .UAB .UAC .UAD etc
When they reach .UAZ thy go to .UBA.......

The option -d gives details of what is happening when you are UUDecoding.
Eg.

-d MYPROG.UAA

will give something like this: (For the sake of an example, I am using a 3 part
file. MYPROG.UAA .UAB .UAC)

Begin uudecoding: MYPROG.PRG
Sequence checking on.                          /* Notes for this */
Reading next section from: MYPROG.UAB
Reading part b
Reading next section from: MYPROG.UAC
Reading part c
Finished uudecoding.
End of file.

You would then have a normal copy of MYPROG.PRG

NOTES: You will see the phrase : Sequence checking on.
This is a sort of check that goes on inside UUD to make sure that it can keep
track and prevent any errors whilst decoding. Some file are UUEncoded using an
older version and do not provide this function. When UUDecoding, they give :
No sequence checking.

That's about it.

You do of course have to ARC all the files you wish to send as all files get
bigger when encoded. EG: A file was 8632 bytes. When UUEncoded into 1 file it
became 12383 bytes. Not much agreed, but UUEncode a 250K demo, it becomes 358K.
(Approx. values)

If you do not know how to use ARC.TTP then I will send you the help files. If
you want them, please reply ASAP.

That's all,

Bye,

Gilbert.

=====================++========================================================
Richard Alan Quadling|| (JANET)  S82895@UK.AC.PLYMOUTH.PRIME-A
11, Fellowes Place,  || (BITNET) If you can fill in the blanks for me I would
Millbridge,          ||          be very happy.
Plymouth,            |+========================================================
Devon,               || DISCLAIMER : Anything said by me is the truth as far as
England.             || I know and I cannot be held responsible for any offence
PL1 5NB.             || this causes. If you don't like what I say, then don't
Tel: (0752) 567045   || read it.
=====================++========================================================

BARRSTEVE@UNCG.BITNET (Owner of a lonely heart) (04/13/89)

Oh, boy.  UUE stands for uuencoded.  This is a useful device for getting
around some of the transmission problems 'net users face.  It converts
a file into a text file.  This file can then be uudecoded back to its
original form.  I'll try and find the source and instructions for it.

P.S. if you have a PD Postscript to Runoff coverter you could make
our school a better place.

Oh, yeah:
STeve Barr  BARRSTEVE@UNCG BARRSTEV@NeXT.UNCG.EDU

UNCSPL@UNC.BITNET ("Scott P Leslie") (04/14/89)

Hello,
   UUE is a program (UUencode) which encodes binary programs so that
they can be transfered via the network.
--
Later, Scott P. Leslie (UNCSPL@UNC)                      Jax

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (06/25/89)

In article <3682@orca.WV.TEK.COM> stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) writes:
>Apparantly, Atari users are using something
>that performs a similar, but NOT COMPATIBLE function as the UNIX
>uuencode/uudecode.  People like myself, who use IBM PC's and UNIX
>workstations, are accustomed to using identical utilities on both
>platforms.  Confusion results when someone says "use uudecode" to
>decode an archive when they really mean "use uud".

I have found that UUDECODE generally handles UUE-generated files
without difficulty.  You may have problems if your version of UUDECODE
gets confused by the extra check bytes, but I suspect that in this case
what happened was that the character set got screwed up in the
transmission and UUD's table-checking facility caught the problem and
corrected it.  In any case, you can run UUE/UUD on Unix systems, PC's,
or anything else, so the identical utility problem is easy to solve.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2