[comp.sys.atari.st] BIGSCREEN question - same troubles ...

dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Dirk Husemann) (06/07/89)

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:

>I downloaded what I thought was a UUENCODED binary for BIGSCREEN of the net
>but had no success in getting executable code out. Where can I get another
>copy of the binary?

I couldn't get it, too. Uudecode says "short file" ...
Could you post it again, Julian? It seems to have been corrupted on its
way.

------------------ Smile, tomorrow will be worse! --------------
Email:	dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Or:	{pyramid,unido}!fauern!faui45!dkhusema
Mail:	Dirk Husemann, Aufsess-Str. 19, D-8520 Erlangen,
(Home)	West Germany
(Busi-	University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science Dep.,
ness)	IMMD IV, Martensstr. 1, D-8520 Erlangen, West Germany
Phone:	(Home) +49 9131 302036,	(Business) +49 9131 857908
-- Beam me up, Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here! --
--------------- My opinions are mine, mine, mine ---------------

jf@laura.UUCP (Jan-Hinrich Fessel) (06/08/89)

In article <428@medusa.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> dkhusema@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Dirk Husemann) writes:
>01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
>
>>I downloaded what I thought was a UUENCODED binary for BIGSCREEN of the net
>>but had no success in getting executable code out. Where can I get another
>>copy of the binary?

For getting the executable:
mv bigscrn.prg bigscrn.prg.Z; uncompress bigsreen.prg

(This only if you did not follow the advice in the article....

>I couldn't get it, too. Uudecode says "short file" ...
>Could you post it again, Julian? It seems to have been corrupted on its
>way.

It seems you are the only one who has this problem...
mail news@unido.uucp for gettin a working version.
--
			      Jan-Hinrich Fessel
	Universitaet Dortmund, IRB	jf@unido.uucp  ||  jf@unido.bitnet

src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (06/09/89)

In article <1410@laura.UUCP> jf@laura.UUCP (Jan-Hinrich Fessel) writes:

>>I couldn't get it, too. Uudecode says "short file" ...
>>Could you post it again, Julian? It seems to have been corrupted on its
>>way.
>
>It seems you are the only one who has this problem...
>mail news@unido.uucp for gettin a working version.
>--
>			      Jan-Hinrich Fessel

   I went and looked at the version that reached this node, and it's definitely
broken.  The second to the last line of the binary doesn't have a leading 'M';
ergo, something got hosed in the communication.

   Since a new version was posted to this newsgroup since then, it may no
longer be a problem...

|.--------------------------------..---------------------------------------.|
|| Usenet: src@xanth.UUCP         ||                                       ||
||   Arpa: src@xanth.cs.odu.edu   ||    "If you love something, set it     ||
||  Earth: Scott R. Chilcote      ||       free.                           ||
||                                ||     If it doesn't return,             ||
||     |||     "Sure, Jack, we    ||       Hunt it down and kill it!"      ||
||     |||   trust you.  But will ||                                       ||
||    / | \   will you respect us ||                  -- Klingon Proverb   ||
||   /  |  \     in the morning?" ||                                       ||
|:________________________________:'---------------------------------------'|
'---------------------------------------------------------------------------'

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (06/10/89)

Then Jan-Hinrich Fessel said:

>It seems you are the only one who has this problem...
>mail news@unido.uucp for gettin a working version.

Well he wasn't the only person having this problem, I got a short file
message when I uudecoded it too.  I think part of the problem might be
that I'm doing the uudecode on my Unix system, but this has never been
a problem for anything I've ever gotten from "comp.binaries.ibm.pc",
but perhaps things are different for the ST world.  Is it possible
that the St version of uudecode is different?  I have included the
last few lines of the uuencoded bigscrn.arc below, between the rows of
"-----"'s.
MH+-NN[12R[)M~[,BP+5<JP 2$ "Z@  V&V8#(#4Q"[>'JP *H $0  $2 +00
M@+8&8 $40 &/.V,(P  <T+<Q.[5OFT4RH ,JL+,.0 $*P $$  D%("60< "R
3X "T8  V8+,,  (QJ[F;"P : +5O

end
I would appreciate it if the original poster (Julian F. Reschke) would
compare the above lines with what he origianlly posted, to see if they
agree.

I should also note that Jan-Hinrich Fessel was talking about
bigscrn.prg being compressed with "compress" and that what I and Dirk
Husemann have was compressed/archived with "arc".  Of course it is
possible that bigscrn.prg was compressed before it was arc'ed, but I
haven't been able to get past uudecode so I can't tell.

At any rate, I hope someone out there can clear up the confusion, I'd
really appreciate it.

								stank
US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc., Interactive Technologies Division
         PO Box 1000, MS 61-028, Wilsonville OR 97070   Phone:(503)-685-2458
e-mail:  {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!stank
    or   stank@orca.WV.TEK.COM

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (06/24/89)

To refresh everyone's memory this thread of conversation was about people
trying to uudecode BIGSCREEN and getting "short file" errors.

Well, since I'm new to "comp.sys.atari.st" and
"comp.binaries.atari.st" I had the same problems too.  I discovered
that the secret to decoding the arc files is to not use "uudecode" but
to use "uud" instead.  Apparantly, Atari users are using something
that performs a similar, but NOT COMPATIBLE function as the UNIX
uuencode/uudecode.  People like myself, who use IBM PC's and UNIX
workstations, are accustomed to using identical utilities on both
platforms.  Confusion results when someone says "use uudecode" to
decode an archive when they really mean "use uud".

Well, to sum up, now that I have "uud" and "uue" on my workstation I
have had no problems unpacking the first post of BIGSCREEN.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (06/25/89)

In article <3682@orca.WV.TEK.COM> stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) writes:
> ....  I discovered
>that the secret to decoding the arc files is to not use "uudecode" but
>to use "uud" instead.  Apparantly, Atari users are using something
>that performs a similar, but NOT COMPATIBLE function as the UNIX
>uuencode/uudecode.

But it *is* compatible.  I have used uuencode/uudecode on UNIX system,
on the Atari ST, and on an IBM PC, (in all 12 combinations), with UUD/
UUE on the Atari ST and on UNIX.

		SOURCE SYSTEM			TARGET SYSTEM

		using uuencode			using uud

		Atari ST	--->		Atari ST
		IBM PC				VAX with UNIX
		VAX with UNIX

		using uue			using uudecode

		Atari ST	--->		Atari ST
		VAX with UNIX			IBM PC
						VAX with UNIX

UUD does some nice things for you that uudecode does not.  If the encoded
If your file is large, and must be mailed in several chunks, because of
limitations of your mailer or those of your intended recipient, or
intermediate mailers, UUD can create for you files which UUE can
re-assemble.  If you use uuencode and "split", say, to split up your
file instead, the recipient has to re-assemble the big uuencoded file
"by hand".

The second thing that UUE will do for you is to put in a character
table for you that UUD looks at to see if there have been any unwanted
translations along the way.  Uudecode ignores this table. These unwanted
translations characteristically happen at gateways that use EBCDIC codes.
One notorious example is UKACLR, which is the EARN (BITNET) gateway to
the UK.

The program was developed by J-P Dumas, who connects to this network at
site behind a "blue box" in France.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) (06/27/89)

>In article <3682@orca.WV.TEK.COM> stank@anvil.WV.TEK.COM (Stan Kalinowski) writes:
>to use "uud" instead.  Apparantly, Atari users are using something
>that performs a similar, but NOT COMPATIBLE function as the UNIX
>uuencode/uudecode.

A number of people have pointed out that uud is upwardly compatible
with the UNIX uudecode.  I apologize for misstating the facts, it was
a poor choice of words on my part.  I should have said that they are
not "identical" in function and as such should not be considered
interchangeable.  This was the intended gist of my posting, uud and
uudecode are functionally different and yet people some people refer
to them as though they were identical.  In most cases they work the
same, but in the case of garbled files, only uud will correctly decode
them.  The point I was trying to make is that there ARE cases where
only uud will correctly decode a file and so people should be careful
about which name they use when they say "I was able to uudecode the
file".

I was not aware that machines that corrupted data were still allowed
on the "net", it seems to me that the best solution to this problem is
to get the offending machines to fix their problems under threat of
having their feeds "cut off".  Of course, I'm in no position to make
such an assertion, but it seems to me that when a machine is a node in
a network, gaining the benefits of other nodes correctly passing data,
it should not forward messages with the data altered.