[comp.sys.atari.st] EZRAM II Info

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (06/25/89)

Well, I just intsalled my new EZRAM II board.  Now I have a nice 2.5 meg
1040ST.  However, it does NOT fit under the RF shield.  I took off the
shielding temporarily, BUT I like it on there to hold my little fan.
Oh yeah, I did have a question...Why does the upgrade give me only 2.5
megs instead of 1meg internal + 2megs on EZRAM = 3 megs?

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Columbia U, where the women
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |are few and the sheep are
(c)All rights reserved.       |nervous.  :-)
------------------------------+---------------------------

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (06/28/89)

In article <8906250845.AA08142@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Well, I just intsalled my new EZRAM II board.  Now I have a nice 2.5 meg
>1040ST.  However, it does NOT fit under the RF shield.  I took off the
>shielding temporarily, BUT I like it on there to hold my little fan.
>Oh yeah, I did have a question...Why does the upgrade give me only 2.5
>megs instead of 1meg internal + 2megs on EZRAM = 3 megs?

(rest deleted)

The ST is only capable of addressing 2 banks of memory.  By filling one
bank of the EZ Ram II's sockets with 1 meg chips (making 2 megs), it
disables one bank on the 1040's motherboard.  Ergo, you have 2 megs on
the expansion board and 1/2 meg on the 1040, giving you 2.5 megs.

You might be able to remove that bank of memory and use it for something
else, but I cannot guarantee this.  Maybe somebody a little more
knowledgable about the ST can confirm/deny this.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX                             | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
"Another brilliant mind ruined by higher education" | 3) Coke Classic