[comp.sys.atari.st] 9600b modem

dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) (06/28/89)

I lost my modem due to a rain storm recently and I am preparing to get a new
one.  I was wondering what the market for 9600b modems was like for the st.
Anyone know of any good (inexpensive?) deals?  If I get a big enough response
I will post the results to the net.

And while I have your attention:  do any companys have removable hard disk
systems working for the st and whats the going rate?

dav

In article <14114@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
>I lost my modem due to a rain storm recently and I am preparing to get a new
>one.  I was wondering what the market for 9600b modems was like for the st.

The market for the ST is the same as for any other computer that can use
a modem. 9600bps, V.32 compatible modems aren't too cheap; say $600 at the
low end. And if you thought you had trouble finding 2400bps modems that
could talk to each other, you're really in for a surprise when you try to
get 9600 or 19200 working. V.32 will probably be the standard for 9600 &
19200bps modems. Lots of modems claim to adhere to this standard now, but
very few of them will talk to each other (so far). On the bright side (?),
they also seem to be standardizing on MicroCom's MNP, so you can pretty
much take error-correction and data-compression as givens when using these
modems...

>And while I have your attention:  do any companys have removable hard disk
>systems working for the st and whats the going rate?

Doesn't Atari have one of these products? Or is that 44MB Syquest a *tape*
drive? Seems silly, but I don't remember now, and I just saw one a few days
ago... There was another company showing one of these at the World of Atari
show as well, but I don't remember their name, let alone a price.

--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!