[comp.sys.atari.st] Re^2: 9600b modem

greg@uop.EDU (Greg Onufer) (06/29/89)

hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>In article <14114@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> dav@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (William David Haas) writes:
>>I lost my modem due to a rain storm recently and I am preparing to get a new
>>one.  I was wondering what the market for 9600b modems was like for the st.

>The market for the ST is the same as for any other computer that can use
>a modem. 9600bps, V.32 compatible modems aren't too cheap; say $600 at the
>low end. And if you thought you had trouble finding 2400bps modems that
>could talk to each other, you're really in for a surprise when you try to
>get 9600 or 19200 working. V.32 will probably be the standard for 9600 &
>19200bps modems. Lots of modems claim to adhere to this standard now, but

Get a TrailBlazer, any model.  They are relatively inexpensive (many
different ways of getting half off the list price), extremely reliable,
and are incredibly fast, especially with the protocol spoofing (Kermit,
X-Modem, UUCP, etc... and Van Jacobson's Compressed SLIP should be
available Any Day Now(tm)).

I bought a TrailBlazer Plus, on a student's budget over five months ago
for half price (I registered my Sun-1 in the UUCP maps... that was the
condition of getting the discount bac then).  I have never had a problem
with it and even with a 68010 running SunOS, it gets well over 1.3k per
second throughput.  Oddly enough, I have yet to connect it to my 1040ST...

Cheers!greg