[comp.sys.atari.st] Asking for trackball recommendations

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/23/89)

I'm curious about how a trackball feels as a pointing device.  Are there any
trackballs commercially available in the US for the ST?  Can any non-ST
trackballs be adapted for the ST using less than an hour of unskilled labor?
Anyone care to say either 'it's great' or 'don't waste your time?'
                                 Steve J.

hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dzung Hoang) (06/27/89)

In article <8759@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I'm curious about how a trackball feels as a pointing device.  Are there any
>trackballs commercially available in the US for the ST?  Can any non-ST
>trackballs be adapted for the ST using less than an hour of unskilled labor?
>Anyone care to say either 'it's great' or 'don't waste your time?'
>                                 Steve J.

    I have converted an Atari trackball for use with the ST.  The trackball
costs $12.95 and the conversion required only a soldering iron and a $3.95
joystick extension cable from Radio Shack.  It works great for some games,
but may be too cumbersome for general use.  As a bonus, there is a switch
for trackball/joystick operation.  In the "joystick" mode, the trackball
works with programs that expect joystick input.  Details about the conversion
may be found on many ST BBS's.

    I found the trackball indispensible for use with the game Tracker.  Move-
ment through the maze is extremely difficult without the trackball.

Dzung Hoang
hoang@comus.cs.tulane.edu
tulane!comus!hoang

ins_bac@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Ajay Choudhri) (06/27/89)

In article <8759@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
>I'm curious about how a trackball feels as a pointing device.  Are there any
>trackballs commercially available in the US for the ST?  Can any non-ST
>trackballs be adapted for the ST using less than an hour of unskilled labor?
>Anyone care to say either 'it's great' or 'don't waste your time?'
>                                 Steve J.
Well, I modified an ATARI 2600vcs cx22 trackball(2 bttoned one) and added
a joystick port to it and I am quite happy with it, I replaced the case because
the buttons are to far away from the trackball, otherwise I like it alot since Ihate the mouse buttons on the ST mouse and have rather limited desk space.
The modifications are easy by the way.. I will look for the text file.
 -Ajay Choudhri
Dreamer Extraordinaire
ATARI fanatic. I burn NINTENDO, IBM and COMMODORE in effigy ok also APPLE.
ins_bac@jhunix.uucp
ins_bac@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu
or ....... aplcen!jhunix!ins_bac

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (06/28/89)

In the referenced article, saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) wrote:
>I'm curious about how a trackball feels as a pointing device.  Are there any
>trackballs commercially available in the US for the ST?
>                                 Steve J.

I've been using a Wico trackball that had already been converted for
ST use.  I noticed one at my dealer's and have since noticed that
several dealers have them for sale and have them hooked up to
machines.

What do I think of it?  It took some getting used to.  I had been
using a mouse during my first month of Dungeon Master and had trouble
making the switch.  I recently went back to DM and played it just fine
with the trackball.  (I can take any one character and zip through the
whole dungeon and make the final objective in under 13 hours--how's
that?)

I like having the trackball take up less desk space since I keep
piling up stuff.  The two buttons are slightly less convienient, but
it's still ok for what I do.

As for converting trackballs -- I don't know.

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
dhawk@well.sf.ca.us    --   In this world it is not what we take up,

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (06/30/89)

In article <12439@well.UUCP>, dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
> ......]
> I've been using a Wico trackball that had already been converted for
> ST use.  I noticed one at my dealer's and have since noticed that
> several dealers have them for sale and have them hooked up to
> machines.
> [.....]
> As for converting trackballs -- I don't know.
> [......

    I have a wico trackball that I originally bought for my atari 800
    that I would love to convert to a mouse.  I've been reading this net
    for about 2 years now and I've never heared of anyone converting a wico
    so I gave it up as a lost cause, now I hear that David has one!
    Can anyone help me out?  I've opened the box and there are the usual
    optics and just 1 big IC.  What needs to be done ?  It would also be
    nice if I can flip a switch and go back and forth between mouse and
    joystick (trackball) mode.
    Thanx.

   |  ###     ###     ###  C O N S O L E S  |  An STC Company  |
   |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm         (Paul L. Moreau)      |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm    (Diagnostics Software Eng) |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm           (Irvine, California)    |