[comp.sys.atari.st] zmdm termcap & Phone directory

lefko@leadsv.UUCP (Martin Lefkowitz) (06/30/89)

I'm not that familiar with termcap.  It looks like Greek to me.
Currenly I'm using zmodem for file transfer and terminal emulator.
I'm using a hacked up version of a VT100 for the termcap entry.  The
only thing that doesn't work are the arrow keys which come in handy
for emacs.  Does anybody have a good termcap entry for the 520
keyboard?

Also I notice when I start up zmdm I always had an error the first
time I try to dial.  The command to the modem gets garbled (I'm using
an Avatex 1200).  Has anybody had any experience with that?
--
 {(ucbvax!ames!versatc) ({(hplabs)(decvax!decwrl)}!pyramid)}!leadsv!lefko

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/01/89)

In article <6875@leadsv.UUCP> lefko@leadsv.UUCP (Martin Lefkowitz) writes:
>I'm not that familiar with termcap.  It looks like Greek to me.

Try "man termcap" -- it really is pretty logical.  But some systems use
terminfo instead or, what is worse, in addition to!

>Also I notice when I start up zmdm I always had an error the first
>time I try to dial.  The command to the modem gets garbled (I'm using
>an Avatex 1200).  Has anybody had any experience with that?

Do you really get an error, or does it just look that way?  ZMDM
defaults to 9600 baud, and when you dial a number at a different rate
the echo to the screen looks like garbage.  But it still dials OK.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (07/02/89)

In article <1989Jul1.012514.2579@cs.dal.ca>, silvert@cs (Bill Silvert) writes:
>In article <6875@leadsv.UUCP> lefko@leadsv.UUCP (Martin Lefkowitz) writes:
>>I'm not that familiar with termcap.  It looks like Greek to me.
>
>Do you really get an error, or does it just look that way?  ZMDM
>defaults to 9600 baud, and when you dial a number at a different rate
>the echo to the screen looks like garbage.  But it still dials OK.

Bill is almost correct. ZMDM (the modern versions anyways) default's to
the baud rate that what set when you invoke it. Before dialing it checks
if the current baud rate is the same as the one for the number you
are dialing. If it is not, it switches to that baud rate, sends the modem
the string "\r" (which according to the man will switch the modem to
that baud rate -- and it does on all the modems that i have access to)
followed by the PREDIAL string, and the number. If you need to change that
behaviour see the dial code in phone.c
As for function/arrow keys, ZMDM does not send anything (actually it
sends the NUL char '\0') fancy for them. I personally never ever use
function/arrow keys if i can help it. (that reminds me-- how do you spot
a emacs hacker in a chinese restaurant ??  -- he/she is the one using
chopsticks :-).
Enclosed below is a slightly improved termcap entry for use with Zmdm/Xmdm:
St|520stf|atariST|520 or 1040, bw, std sys font, 25 lines, 80 col:\
	:ae=\Eba:am:as=\Ebc:\
	:bl=^G:bs:\
	:cd=\EJ:ce=\EK:cl=\EH\EJ:cm=\EY%+ %+ :co#80:cr=^M:\
	:do=\EB:\
	:ho=\EH:\
	:is=\Ev\Ee:\
	:le=^H:li#25:\
	:nd=\EC:nl=^J:\
	:pt:\
	:se=\Eq:so=\Ep:sr=\EI:\
	:ta=^I:\
	:up=\EA:
--
bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu