[comp.sys.atari.st] GNU-Emacs ST version, Re: emacs + Docu for ST

roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) (07/04/89)

In article <868@pcsbst.UUCP>, jbe@pcsbst.UUCP (jbe) writes:

> I use GNU-Emacs at work and need something as similar as possible. I
> would appreciate it if someone could send me the complete list of files.
>
> Thanks
> J-B

For all those people interested: i have GNU-Emacs 18.51 running on a Mega ST2.
It is quite large (about 260 kB executable) and it takes even more memory to
run. But it is a nearly complete port of GNU-Emacs to the ST. With the help of
GCC 1.30 i could implement most of the features. Only processes are left out.
There is filename-completion, info-tree lookup, online-documentation,
suspending the editor to get back to the shell via ^Z (calling _shell_p) and
some support for the ST keyboard (function keys, Alternate as Meta key, Help,
Undo, cursor keys) ...
If you have 1 MB memory you get about 300 kB left for your shell and the file
to edit (at least for the first few minutes - you should know what Emacs
means: E)ventually M)allocs A)ll C)omputer S)torage).
If you have more than 1 MB and use GNU-Emacs already at work you would like it.

- Edgar