[comp.sys.atari.st] Review of "ff"

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (07/01/89)

	Review of "ff"
	posted recently by
	f-leoe@ifi.uio.no (Lars-Erik 0sterud)

The program "ff" ( for File Finder ) is a little short on
documentation, but I did figure it out.  It searches all
directories, or the drive you specify, for files with the
name you give.

For instance, I asked it to find "maple.ttp" on drive C,
and it did... both instances of it.  I watched as it searched
through every directory on drive "C:" and it left this list
on the screen

	C:\MAPLE.TTP
	C:\BIN\MAPLE.TTP

because I have two copies of the file.

There is a bug.  I had to specify one extra non-blank character
at the end of the command line.  In order to restrict the search
to drive "x", according to the very short help message, one has
to specify the string   "/Sx".
So, I tried

	ff maple.ttp /sc

Well, this did not work.  It looked like the "C" was being ignored.
What gave me the clue was that when I typed

	ff maple.ttp

the program seemed to be looking for "MAPLE.TT".  So I now tried
the command line:

	ff maple.ttp /scy
and
	ff maple.ttp /sCy

The second one worked.  The first did not.

The program is quite verbose.  I gives the name of the author
every time, and it tells me to press any key to continue.  This
is broken.  What I had to do was press the RETURN key to continue.
It also tells you how many files names it searched through.
I would have preferred a quiet little two lines, and that is all.

It seems to require exact names.  I would like it to match patterns.
This little program has potential.  I think it could be worked into
a proper "find" program, I think.  Try it!

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET

f-leoe@IFI.UIO.NO (Lars-Erik 0sterud) (07/02/89)

Hello...
If you start the FF program with no parameters you will get a command-help
screen.   THe last char disappears in some shells (most likely a bug in
Personal Pascal)....   I'm still working on the program....
If anyone needs the source-code - just send me a letter...

  Lars-Erik 0sterud   /   Summer & Christmas:   /
   leoe@ifi.uio.no   /     f-leoe@ifi.uio.no   /
____________________/  _______________________/

hafer@infbs.UUCP (Udo Hafermann) (07/03/89)

Some time ago, I wrote a little filefind tool which expects a path plus
filename as argument and searches from that directory downwards.  The
filename may contain TOS-style wildcards (no regexps, sorry) and the files
found are returned on stdout.  There is an option to let ff simply return
an appropriate exit status.  I find this very useful under a shell,
especially if you have a backquote mechanism as in msh (e.g.,
"rm `ff 'd:\hugo\*.tmp'`").  To find a file on any of n drives, you will
have to call ff n times.  Anyone interested?

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (07/04/89)

In article <2484@water.waterloo.edu> ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) writes:

>	Review of "ff"
>	posted recently by
>	f-leoe@ifi.uio.no (Lars-Erik 0sterud)
>
>The program is quite verbose.  I gives the name of the author
>every time, and it tells me to press any key to continue.  This
>is broken.  What I had to do was press the RETURN key to continue.
>It also tells you how many files names it searched through.
>I would have preferred a quiet little two lines, and that is all.
>
>It seems to require exact names.  I would like it to match patterns.
>This little program has potential.  I think it could be worked into
>a proper "find" program, I think.  Try it!

if you want a file find program, why not try quick find. hell, as a
u of w person, you should be supporting fellow u of w students who write
great :-) shareware!!!! The things you mention as faults in file find do
not exist in quick find. quick find will let you choose any drive/partition,
and let you enter the search MASK (? and * are accepted). plus the latest
version (1.5) has extra features that let you do manipulations on groups
of matched files, such as touching, deleting, write protecting, hiding, etc.

--
Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)          watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac

"Catholic or Protestant, you got no choice. I tried to scream, but I lost
my voice!" from 'Irish Eyes Don't Smile Tonight' by SUBURBAN DISTORTION