[comp.sys.atari.st] keyboard info; was: Re: Tempus help!

meulenbr@cstw01.prl.philips.nl (Frans Meulenbroeks) (07/04/89)

In article <8907040537.AA10681@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 34ZDFYS@CMUVM.BITNET (Bob Crell) writes:
>Oh, the version is in English but you will have to reset the keyboard.
>It's set up in some strange European layout.  (e.g. Shift "2" for " and
>the ^ is nonexistant) but that's a small sacrifice, especially for a
>person who seemed ready to sell his soul for this program.

This strange European layout is often referred to as UK keyboard.
I'll include its layout below. Sorry if due to some weird character
conversions of usenet it gets messed up.

normal:

Esc 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = ` bs
tab q w e r t y u i o p [ ] re- del
ctrl a s d f g h j k l ; ' turn #
shft \ z x c v b n m , . / shft

caps:

Esc ! "   $ % ^ & * ( ) _ +   bs
tab Q W E R T Y U I O P { } re- del
ctrl A S D F G H J K L : @ turn ~
shft | Z X C V B N M < > ? shft

some remarks:
shift-3 is the pound sign
shift-4 is the dollar sign
shift ` is some kind of upper or underscore character.

US users of software which expects a UK keyboard will have a problem
with respect to \ and |, since they don't have a key between the
shift and the Z. (The UK keyboard has one key more than the US one)

There seem to be utilities to map one keyboard to another.

Hope this helps,
Frans Meulenbroeks        (meulenbr@cst.prl.philips.nl)
	Centre for Software Technology
	( or try: ...!mcvax!phigate!prle!cst!meulenbr)