[comp.sys.atari.st] disk errors and

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (06/26/89)

Here's a weird one: about 80% of the floppies I've used in conjunction with
Hack 1.03 or with Nethack on the ST have developed errors (as in critical error
alert boxes).  About 1% of other floppies have developed such errors.  Is
there any way this could be something besides a coincidence?

And a related odd thought: if a floppy was used in a drive that was mis-
aligned, could that cause it to be un-formatable on a properly aligned drive?
                                   Steve J.

pyr545@psc90.UUCP (Andrew C. Stoffel) (07/03/89)

In article <8778@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
[assorted things about disk errors being VERY high with nethack deleted]
Did this occur ONLY with disks ?? I've been using nethack on my
harddisk for months now with no problem.. but if it's going to mess
that up I'd like to know !! And is that the most recent version of
nethack going around ??
						Andy %-)

(*there MIGHT be a very witty .signature attached !! *)

rsimonian@x102c.harris-atd.com (Simonian RP 66449) (07/04/89)

In article <942@psc90.UUCP> pyr545@psc90.UUCP (Andrew C. Stoffel) writes:
>[on nethack]Did this occur ONLY with disks ?? I've been using nethack on my
>harddisk for months now with no problem.. but if it's going to mess
>that up I'd like to know !!

I just had to zero out the hard-drive partition that had nethack on it,
because the partition was getting flaky.  I couldn't use the DLII or
REORG tools on it anymore.  I had been using nethack for several months,
and didn't notice any problems until I tried to copy it before I erased
and restored everything.  It wouldn't copy!  The file was supposably
around 380K, but only 1K would copy.  I tried everything, then decided
nethack was probably screwing my drive up, so I junked it.  Any similar
problems?

Richard P. Simonian     407/984-6006
Natural Language Processing Group
Harris GISD, Melbourne, FL  32902
Internet: rsimonian%x102c@trantor.harris-atd.com

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (07/05/89)

In article <8778@chinet.chi.il.us> saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) writes:
[assorted things about disk errors being VERY high with nethack deleted]
I had ONE problem with (net)hack and errors on disks...

When I installed a little TSR utility called STASHCAN.PRG (it was from one
of the Magazine Disks, but I can't remember the magazine right now) that
would move files when you deleted them to a TRASH folder; nethack started
giving problems, and finally crashed, complaining about someone cheating
by messing with it's files.

I removed STASHCAN, and have had no problems since.

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com
BIX:    r.tim_coslet