[comp.sys.atari.st] Neodesk 2.0

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (05/31/89)

Last Saturday I picked up a copy of Neodesk 2.0 at my dealer and promptly
went home to install it. Neodesk has an INSTALL.PRG on the disk that you have
to run BEFORE you can use Neodesk. It makes sure you understand the
licensing agreement and agree to it, and has you fill in your name and
address the same as on the registration card. This info is written to the
distribution disk and must be there if and when the time to upgrade arrives.
Other than this, the disk is NOT copy-protected.

Okay, per the instruction book I made sure the disk was writable and then ran
INSTALL.PRG. (In the process, I noted several folders and files were on the
disk). Everything went fine until I got done entering my name and address and
the INSTALL program tried to write the disk. Then I got dialog that said the
data on the disc was damaged, CANCEL or CONTINUE? I chose CANCEL after
re-checking that the disk was writable. (When in doubt, go easy, right?).
Well, then I got a nastygram saying the install had failed and to contact
Gribnif at some long distance phone number. When I returned to the desktop,
the INSTALL.PRG was gone, and several files names were printed in "gray"
instead of black. What's *that* mean? I figured to undelete the install
program and try again, but when I closed the window on that disc an tried to
re-open, I got the damaged data dialog again.

Back to the dealer (25 mile drive). He copies his master disc onto my disc.
I run INSTALL.PRG no problem. My computer is a MEGA ST-2 and so is the
dealers. I don't know what happened but I not too happy about it. I'm glad I
didn't mail order Neodesk!

How do I like it? Quite well for having found three bugs in all:

1) The neocontrol.acc loses it's mouse settings every so often. Seems related
   to using G+Plus desk accessory.

2) The option for doing a disk copy by sector is buggy. Directories for both
   source and destination get messed up when using it to copy one disk
   sector to another (identical) sector. It's fast, though :). (Rebooting
   fixes the directory problem. The copy seems to be done correctly, Neodesk
   and TOS just are lost afterwards).

3) Once, I wrapped 4 folders and copied them (having not enabled the move
   option). Well, Neo went ahead and moved them....

Seriously, I really DO like this program, combined with Universal Item
Selector TOS becomes quite delightful. But I've seen enough bugs to be
concerned.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (06/04/89)

First off, be aware that NeoDesk has gone through two major revisions
since 2.0.  The latest is 2.03 and among a few new features (like
custom icons), it also fixes the GPlus incompatibility and uses a
much nicer copy routine.  The upgrade is a mere $3 with your original
disk sent in.  Second, what your dealer did is highly questionable.
The master disks are sent to ealers for display purposes only and are
registered just like user disks.  What this means is that when you send
your disk in for an upgrade it will registered as your dealers disks
and all sorts of questions can be raised.  Also, there are numerous reports
of dealers selling NeoDesks without the Install program and users running
into similar problems - was the package you bought shrinkwrapped?  If
not I would suspect the dealer.

In summary - the Install program is there to register your disk for
future upgrades - try to circumvent this very rational and reasonable
anti-piracy routine is not your benefit.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (06/08/89)

| First off, be aware that NeoDesk has gone through two major revisions
| since 2.0.  The latest is 2.03 and among a few new features (like
| custom icons), it also fixes the GPlus incompatibility and uses a
| much nicer copy routine.  The upgrade is a mere $3 with your original
| disk sent in.  Second, what your dealer did is highly questionable.
| The master disks are sent to ealers for display purposes only and are
| registered just like user disks.  What this means is that when you send
| your disk in for an upgrade it will registered as your dealers disks
| and all sorts of questions can be raised.  Also, there are numerous reports
| of dealers selling NeoDesks without the Install program and users running
| into similar problems - was the package you bought shrinkwrapped?  If
| not I would suspect the dealer.
|
| In summary - the Install program is there to register your disk for
| future upgrades - try to circumvent this very rational and reasonable
| anti-piracy routine is not your benefit.
|
| Peter Szymonik
| Xorg@cup.portal.com
| ----------

Whoo boy! Let me explain this better.

Yes, the package was shrink-wrapped. The INSTALL.PRG was originally on
disk, it just failed for reasons unknown (to me, at least).

The dealer copied his disk onto mine, including the INSTALL program. I ran
the INSTALL program with MY name and address, and it got logged onto MY
disk, and then the INSTALL program removed itself.  The end result is
that I have the disk I paid for, with the correct serial number physically
STAMPED on it, with MY registration information on the disk, and it matches
the information on MY registration card. I noted the problem on the
registration card. I have a bill of sale!

I think that completely legal and appropriate actions were taken by the
dealer in the name of customer support. Which is the reason I pay more
to buy locally (when I can).

Further, I have sent e-mail to Gribnif outlining the nature of that problem
(and several others I have seen).

So, in sum, I didn't circumvent the INSTALL program!

I hope rev 2.03 does fix the problems I've seen. I think Neodesk is great.
Especially when it's teamed up with G+Plus and Universal Item Selector and
MultiDesk. It's not the same machine without these packages!

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    % Andy Cassino                                                  %
    % uucp: hplabs!hplsla!andyc  domain: andyc%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com %
    % Hewlett-Packard              Lake Stevens Instrument Division %
    % 8600 Soper Hill Road                   Everett, WA 98205-1298 %
    % (206) 335-2211                                                %
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (06/28/89)

A while back I made some postings about my first impressions of Neodesk and
some problems I encountered, including a problem with the INSTALL program.
The latter problem was "fixed" by my dealer copying his disk onto mine. In
response,  Xorg@cup.portal.com remarked upon the dubious ethics of that
action by the dealer, which I promptly poo-poo'ed.

Well, time has come to un-poo-poo those remarks! My dealer's actions have
caused both me and Gribnif Software some problems. Gribnif has asked that I
return my disk so they can repair it AND their records. This is necessary
if I want to receive future updates (and from I've heard - I most certainly
do!).

I plan on discussing this with my dealer next time I'm in (which may be
a while after this affair).

I also want to report that Gribnif Software has earned my hard and fast
customer loyalty by sending me no less than a 3-page letter explaining, in
detail, each and every problem I wrote them about. As a result, I not only
understand Neodesk better, but I also understand TOS and some other programs
much better.

Neodesk is a great program and Gribnif is a great company!

(Disclaimer: I have no pecuniary affiliation with Gribnif Software, and the
opinions expressed here are my own, period!)

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

goller@gmdzi.UUCP (Stefan Goller) (06/29/89)

In article <5440040@hplsla.HP.COM>, andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) writes:

> I also want to report that Gribnif Software has earned my hard and fast
> customer loyalty by sending me no less than a 3-page letter explaining, in
> detail, each and every problem I wrote them about. As a result, I not only
> understand Neodesk better, but I also understand TOS and some other programs
> much better.

Hello Andy,

why don`t you tell us something about the contens of the letter?

Many thanks

      Stefan Goller

andyc@hplsla.HP.COM (Andy Cassino) (07/10/89)

| > I also want to report that Gribnif Software has earned my hard and fast
| > customer loyalty by sending me no less than a 3-page letter explaining, in
| > detail, each and every problem I wrote them about. As a result, I not only
| > understand Neodesk better, but I also understand TOS and some other programs
| > much better.
| >

| Hello Andy,
|
| why don`t you tell us something about the contens of the letter?
|

| Many thanks
|
|       Stefan Goller
| ----------

Okay, here's a brief synopsis of the interesting things I learned:

1) Neodesk control panel is not at fault for the mouse double-click
   rate changing when Easydraw is started... Easydraw *changes* the
   double click-rate; Migraph thinks this is necessary (I don't!).
   A future version of Easydraw with restore the original
   double-click rate. (Somehow, it escaped my notice, but this does
   happen with the built-in desktop as well as Neodesk).

2) There is apparently a known conflict between G+Plus and
   Universal Item Selector that interferes with communications
   between Easydraw and Outprint. I was advised to contact the
   creators of UIS and/or G+Plus for more info. (I haven't done
   so, I found an AUTO folder ordering that solved the problem).

3) When Neodesk is used to perform a disk copy between hard disk
   partitions, you must reboot after the disk copy, for the same
   reasons that you have to reboot after formatting a hard drive.
   Neodesk 2.04 will remind the user of this via dialogue box.

4) Problems relating to MultiDesk loading the Neo Control Panel
   are fixed in version 2.03 of Neodesk by having Neodesk check
   the control panel "all the time" instead of just at boot-up.

5) Problems that occur when trying to move a folder relate to the
   "Phantom Folder Bug" in TOS, to be fixed in TOS 1.4.

Well... I received my repaired Neodesk Master disk which now contains
Neodesk 2.04... it works great! Version 2.04 highlights: A new
shel_fix.prg which operates legally for TOS 1.2 and higher. Multiple
desktop files are allowed and can be dragged to the desktop and
installed using the resulting icon. There is a hot key ability for
any program on the desktop. Neodesk is now resolution independent
and will work with BigScreen, HyperScreen *and the TT*. (!!!)