[comp.sys.atari.st] Datafree Accelerator

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (07/07/89)

As requested, here are the quick index performance values obtained using
the Datafree 16Mhz Accelerator board.

My system is a 520ST upgraded to 4 megabytes with the original 1985 tos 1.0
ROMS.  Quick Index 1.5 was used with drive C being a 30 Meg Supra harddisk.
Settings were Mono, tos 1.0, drive C.

		No upgrade	Datafree board	Datafree + Turbost v1.5
		------------    --------------  -----------------------
CPU memory	  100		   103		103
CPU register	  100		   102		102
CPU divide	  100		   185		185
CPU shifts	  100		   197		197

DMA read	  5038		   5038		5038
Gemdos I/O	  110		   118		118
Disk RPM	  3604		   3604		3604

Bios text	  100		   126		330
Bios string	  100		   122		763
Bios scroll	  100		   115		181
Gem draw	  100		   120		149

Using applications like ARC, I get about a 35% increase in speed.
Spectre (actually Mac programs) for some reason gets a 45-50% increase in speed.

- BTW- a blitter socket will get you nothing in return - turbost is as fast
and is cheaper - blitters cannot be run at a full 16MHz.

Hope this helps
/leonard

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (B.SZABLAK) (07/07/89)

In article <1989Jul6.223602.23148@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) writes:
> Using applications like ARC, I get about a 35% increase in speed.
> Spectre (actually Mac programs) for some reason gets a 45-50% increase in speed.

This makes me wonder what the speed up of PC Ditto I (and/or II) would be.
In terms of SI of course...

swklassen@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Steven W. Klassen) (07/11/89)

In article <1989Jul6.223602.23148@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
>As requested, here are the quick index performance values obtained using
>the Datafree 16Mhz Accelerator board.
>
>My system is a 520ST upgraded to 4 megabytes with the original 1985 tos 1.0
>ROMS.  Quick Index 1.5 was used with drive C being a 30 Meg Supra harddisk.
>Settings were Mono, tos 1.0, drive C.
>
>		No upgrade	Datafree board	Datafree + Turbost v1.5
>		------------    --------------  -----------------------
[...]
>Bios text	  100		   126		330<<<<****
>Bios string	  100		   122		763<<<<****
>Bios scroll	  100		   115		181
>Gem draw	  100		   120		149

An interesting note:  I got these values on my Atari 1040ST with Quick ST
but without any accelerator boards:

Bios text	339
Bios string	863
Bios scroll	170
GEM draw	121

Everything else had the same readings with and without Quick ST.

BTW: Who wrote Quick Index?  Is it the same company/person who wrote
Quick ST?

Steven W. Klassen
Computer Science Major
University of Waterloo