[comp.sys.atari.st] How to start an autobooting program without erasing memory?

hoang@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Dzung Hoang) (07/13/89)

In article <2226@hp-sdd.hp.com> craigb@hpsdl134.UUCP (Craig Bosworth) writes:
>Hate to muddle things up here, but it is possible to install a TSR,
>reboot, and still use the TSR.  IBM sold a 3270 emulation package
>c. 1986 which does this.  The installation procedure is as follows:
>
>  - Boot DOS
>  - Run the install utility
>  - The install utility loads the emulator, then reloads DOS.
>  - The reloaded DOS runs as an extension to the emulator, instead
>    of the emulator running as an extension of DOS.
>
>I don't know how they mapped everything to avoid hardcoded addresses in
>DOS, but it worked.
>
>I used this program very briefly, but soon switched to an internal
>package that did the emulation with a more traditional TSR.
>
>So it is possible to install some kind of background program then reload
>the system.
>
>So there.
>
>BOS

    I am the original poster.

    Craig message reminded me of a CGA emulation program that allows auto-
booting programs to work under emulation mode.  The program came with the
hercules clone graphics card that came with my system.  The name is COLOR.

    From the replies I've received, it seems that my best shot is to see
how COLOR handles the rebooting and whether I can do the same to slow down
the computer.

    If results are positive, I'll post a message and if there is a demand,
I'll post the specifics.

Dzung Hoang
tulane!comus!hoang
hoang@comus.cs.tulane.edu