[comp.sys.atari.st] Does anybody know of the existence of ...

t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (07/13/89)

I was just wondering whether anybody knows of the existence of:

- an implementation of a ^Z/fg mechanism (I realize bg is hopeless), either
  keeping the program in memory or writing it to a swapfile,

- a nulldevice on n:, implemented as a ramdisk which just throws everything
  away when written to and gives zeros when read from,

- a way to intercept Tools dvi.prg output to the printer to store in a
  file, which I can print in the background using the GPshell lpr command,

- a faster & better linker for Absoft Fortran, the official one I have does
  not link externals, does not link f77.rl, and is slow.  for debugging I
  link dynamically, but at 10 min/point this is getting expensive,

Thanks,
                Geert Jan van Oldenborgh,
                NIKHEF-H, Amsterdam,
                t19@nikhefh.hep.nl

PS.  Are there any other quantum field hackers on the net?

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (07/13/89)

In article <222@nikhefh.hep.nl> t19@nikhefh.hep.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) writes:
>- a faster & better linker for Absoft Fortran, the official one I have does
>  not link externals, does not link f77.rl, and is slow.  for debugging I
>  link dynamically, but at 10 min/point this is getting expensive,

I have version 2.3, and both versions 2.2 and 2.3 link f77.rl if you use
the y option.  I don't understand the problem with externals.  I
routinely link a main, several external files, my own library, and the
runtime library to create stand-alone applications.

One problem I do encounter is that sometimes a link has to be done twice
if there are backwards references in the libraries.  This is a minor
delay, and the use of scripts makes things easy.

>                Geert Jan van Oldenborgh,
>                NIKHEF-H, Amsterdam,
>                t19@nikhefh.hep.nl

>PS.  Are there any other quantum field hackers on the net?

I'm not sure what a quantum field hacker is, but I used to indulge in
condensed matter field theory when I was young and foolish.  Much like
high-energy, except that you treat temperature like imaginary time!

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2