[comp.sys.atari.st] Accelerator Benchmarks

stevef@well.UUCP (Steven Robert Fordyce) (07/12/89)

Since there has been so much interest lately in the barrage of accelerator
choices that have suddenly come to the ST market, we thought that a
comparison of them all, side by side, was in order.

Here are the results!

SOFTWARE:
   The software that was used is QuickIndex 1.4.  The Mandelbrot test of
   the FPU was one distributed on Atari's FPU004 development disk.

HARDWARE:
   Atari-8:  Atari ST Mega2, unmodified, hi-res monochrome, no blitter
   JATO-16:  Atari ST 1040, JATO-16, med-res color, no blitter
   FAST-T16: Atari ST Mega4, FAST-T16, hi-res monochrome, no blitter
   CMI:      Atari ST 520, CMI Processor Accelerator: blitter;
			   16 MHz Math FPU; FastROM, hi-res monochrome

RESULTS:
   The table below contains the tests of the different accelerators.  The
   tests of the JATO and FAST boards were as submitted to GEnie by two
   different posters.  All values are represented as percentages.  The
   tables between the results -------------|	are the difference between
   the CMI Accelerator and the system	   |	results listed in the
   column to the left.	The tests are	   |	listed in the approximate
   order they would be used in a normal    |	application.  The number in
   parentheses next to the test name is    |	an importance value that is
   used to obtain the weighted average	   |	of each test.

		 CMI Proc Accel   Atari-8  V  JATO-16	 FAST-T16
Price($U.S.)	  $299	 $339			$99	 $399/299?
		       (Blitter)

CPU memory  (3)    101	  101	    100 	100	    130
GEM draw    (3)    220	  279	    158 	151	    187
BIOS text   (3)    201	  210	    143 	162	    177
GEMDOS I/O  (2)    112	  112	    112 	112	     75
DMA read    (2)    161	  161	    161 	161	    161
CPU divide  (1)    183	  183	    100 	183	    202
CPU shifts  (1)    180	  180	    100 	179	    205
Mandelbrot (FPU,1) 153	  976	    100 	111	     **
		   ---	  ---	    --- 	---	    ---
Weighted Average:  164	  228	    128 	141	    157

* The numbers for the stock ST are not all 100% because of the difference
in speed between 1.1 and 1.2 of the operating system.

** Speed for the FAST board was not available, but it's speed is probably
about the same as our board without the FPU or less, and wouldn't
appreciably affect it's weighted average.

COMPARISON:
				(CMI vs Atari)	(CMI vs JATO)  (CMI vs FAST)
   Weighted Avg:		     28%	     14%	     4%
   Weighted Average (blitter):	     38%	     26%	    13%
   Weighted Avg (FPU & blitter):     78%	     62%	    45%
				       ^
				       |___ CMI is this much faster than
					    the competition.

FEATURES:
		  CMI Proc Accel   Atari    JATO-16	FAST-T16
Blitter support      !! YES !!	 Mega only     NO	   NO
Math FPU support     !! YES !!	    NO	       NO	   NO
FastROM mode	     !! YES !!	    NO	       NO	   NO
Toggle 8/16	     !! YES !!	    NO	       YES	   YES
Total Compatibility  !! YES !!	    YES        NO	   ??? (Cache On/Off)
Expansion connector  !! YES !!	 Mega only     NO	   NO
Cache RAM		NO	    NO	       NO	   YES

Since we were not able to test all products at the same time with the same
equipment these results will have to be labeled "unofficial".  Some people
may argue with the manner or purpose of the weighted average.  We feel very
strongly that this was chosen in a fair manner.  If the results are not
weighted, a person will not be able to get a realistic picture of OVERALL
system performance.  Some people may question the "obvious bias" that this
test has, leaning towards the CMI Processor Accelerator.  Quite frankly, we
don't give a damn.  We think that without question the CMI Processor
Accelerator is by far the most superior product that you can purchase to
enhance your ST.

Richard N. Rodgers, President
Creative Microsystems Inc.
11952 SW 90th Court
Tualatin, OR  97062
(503) 691-2552

If you don't like my test, give me a call and tell me why.  Or better yet,
do your own test and post the results.

If you want to place an order, or get product information:
	Lilliane Carter, (Customer Service & Support /
			  ST Dealer & End User sales)

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (07/13/89)

In article <12662@well.UUCP> stevef@well.UUCP (Steven Robert Fordyce) writes:
> Since there has been so much interest lately in the barrage of accelerator
> choices that have suddenly come to the ST market, we thought that a
> comparison of them all, side by side, was in order.

If you run Minix, your mileage will vary... In particular, the CMI board
has its "Fast ROM" feature, which won't help Minix, while the FAST-T16
board's cache should help Minix same as before, as long as you don't use
self-modifying code (presumably).

It's nice to see benchmarks; the only thing I could have wished for was
(1) a benchmark of a REAL program with loops that does a fair amount
of computing in registers with low cycle-count instructions (not shifts
or floating point), and (2) less marketing hype...

------
Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                             I'm not the NRA.

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (07/13/89)

As requested, here are the quick index performance values obtained using
the Datafree 16Mhz Accelerator board.

My system is a 520ST upgraded to 4 megabytes with the original 1985 tos 1.0
ROMS.  Quick Index 1.5 was used with drive C being a 30 Meg Supra harddisk.
Settings were Mono, tos 1.0, drive C.

		No upgrade	Datafree board	Datafree + Turbost v1.5
		------------    --------------  -----------------------
CPU memory	  100		   103		103
CPU register	  100		   102		102
CPU divide	  100		   185		185
CPU shifts	  100		   197		197

DMA read	  5038		   5038		5038
Gemdos I/O	  110		   118		118
Disk RPM	  3604		   3604		3604

Bios text	  100		   126		330
Bios string	  100		   122		763
Bios scroll	  100		   115		181
Gem draw	  100		   120		149

Using applications like ARC, I get about a 35% increase in speed.
Spectre (actually Mac programs) for some reason gets a 45-50% increase in speed.

The board is only $99 US, is extremely small ( the exact same size as a 68000)
uses a custom chip, 100% compatible AND AVAILABLE NOW!! (actually 2 weeks
ago).
Seems it is faster and cheaper than the CMI and Jato boards as well.
Hope this helps
/leonard

lharris@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Leonard Harris) (07/13/89)

Sorry, I forgot -
Datafree Industries is at:
391 Ormont Drive
Weston Ontario
M9L 1N8
(416) 741-9825
/
/leonard

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (B.SZABLAK) (07/13/89)

In article <1732@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
> It's nice to see benchmarks; the only thing I could have wished for was
> (1) a benchmark of a REAL program with loops that does a fair amount
> of computing in registers with low cycle-count instructions (not shifts
> or floating point), and (2) less marketing hype...

I will repeat my earlier suggestion: Why not run the MSDOS benchmarks
on the ST using PC Ditto I and the accelerator. A comparison of the SI
values would be interesting, as would the BYTE benchmarks...

jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan Lemon) (07/13/89)

%
%My system is a 520ST upgraded to 4 megabytes with the original 1985 tos 1.0
%ROMS.  Quick Index 1.5 was used with drive C being a 30 Meg Supra harddisk.
%Settings were Mono, tos 1.0, drive C.
%
%		No upgrade	Datafree board	Datafree + Turbost v1.5
[ values deleted ]

What about the performance of TurbotST w/o the Datafree board?
--
Jonathan   ...ucbvax!cory!jlemon     or    jlemon@cory.Berkeley.EDU