[comp.sys.atari.st] SF354 upgrade

mkenwort@BBN.COM (mark kenworthy) (07/12/89)

I have an old SF354 disk drive (single density, square eject button)
that I would like to upgrade to double density.  Does anyone know which
drive mechanisms can be put into this enclosure, without needing a
metalsmith or plasticsmith, that will change it into a double density
drive?

	- Mark -

+---------------------+
| Mark Kenworthy      |
| mkenworthy@bbn.com  |
+---------------------+

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (07/14/89)

In article <8907121503.AA12093@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> mkenwort@BBN.COM (mark kenworthy) writes:
>I have an old SF354 disk drive (single density, square eject button)
                                 ^^^^^^
                                 make that double!

>that I would like to upgrade to double density.  Does anyone know which
>drive mechanisms can be put into this enclosure, without needing a
>metalsmith or plasticsmith, that will change it into a double density
>drive?
>
>	- Mark -
>
>+---------------------+
>| Mark Kenworthy      |
>| mkenworthy@bbn.com  |
>+---------------------+

First off, you want to change it from single SIDED to double SIDED.
All ST drives are double density.

The mechanism used in the older square-faced SF drive was the Epson
SMD-140/SMD-180.  Epson no longer manufactures these drives.  However,
you might get lucky and find one at a computer flea market.  You can try
the newer Epson SMD-280/SMD-480, which should only require a small
amount of "hacking" of the case.

The easiest thing to do is to just mount the drive in the case, and cut
out a rectangle (equal to the size of the mech's face plate) in the
front of the case.  If you do this correctly, the face plate of the mech
will fill in this cutout, and it will look pretty decent.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology | What I like :
BITNET: %clf3678@RITVAX   GEnie: C.FREEMESSER       | 1) My Atari ST
USENET: Just reply and hope it gets through         | 2) My '77 Mercury
Summer jobs at Eastman Kodak are great!             | 3) Coke Classic