[comp.sys.atari.st] Zoomracks

parora@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Pavneet Arora) (01/01/88)

I was just reading this quarter's STart magazine (Wint87), and came across an
article on Zoomracks - an ST product which sounds a lot like Hypercard for the
Mac.  One major difference being that Zoomracks has been around for 3 years.

The article is interesting.  If anyone has used the product, perhaps they
can post their views.

Why hasn't this product come to light earlier?   One thing I did notice was
that the screens used in this article gave a definite edge to Hypercard
since there were beautiful graphics mixed with text.  Is this a shortcoming
of Zoomracks?

By the way the author of Zoomracks is Paul Heckel - the same person who
developed the Craig Language Translator and wrote "The Elements of
Friendly Software Design" (This is from the article).

Pavneet Arora
parora@utgpu

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (01/02/88)

In article <1987Dec31.203153.28991@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> parora@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Pavneet Arora) writes:

>I was just reading this quarter's STart magazine (Wint87), and came across an
>article on Zoomracks - an ST product which sounds a lot like Hypercard for the
>Mac.  One major difference being that Zoomracks has been around for 3 years.
Yep, I got the Zoomracks II version while at Comdex over a year
ago...it lets you store degas pictures as part of your
datasets...among other features.

>Why hasn't this product come to light earlier?   One thing I did notice was
>that the screens used in this article gave a definite edge to Hypercard
>since there were beautiful graphics mixed with text.  Is this a shortcoming
>of Zoomracks?

Yes, and no...It depends upon how much you really depend on graphics.
I like the Zoomracks approach because it got more information on the
screen at once (although it looks like a mess if you were expecting
graphics.) But then, I also am the type of person that turns off my
icons on the ST display and just use narrow vertical boxes of text
file names for my desktop view (to see more files). From a programmers
point of view, I still have yet to come up with a use for hypercard
(I've played with it and am not impressed enough to upgrade my wifes
Mac just for that). Zoomracks II seems to have a lot of power and
macro programmability to it, but give a person a good database, a good
spreadsheet, and a good word processor and they will probably be more
happy in the long run.

I know that a lot of the MCC people down in Texas are doing Hypertext
based applications (which hypercard was derived from). It would be
nice if they tried porting some of their stuff over to the ST's (they
are currently SUN and Symbolics based.) I think the Mega's would make
a nice engine for their needs (and things like the ABAQ would fit into
their longer term AI stuff where they are really going to need the
horsepower). If I remember right, MCC stands for Micro-electronics
Computer Consortium and is a research organization funded by 20 or so
large companies in the US to develop new technology in a variety of
computer and IC design specific areas...

  -Todd Burkey
   trb@stag.UUCP

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Smee) (01/08/88)

No, Hypercard for the Mac is virtually a complete programming (or maybe,
better, working) environment which overlays the O/S.  It *can* be used for
ZoomRack-like record keeping, but if that's all you do with it, it's a bit
like using an atomic bomb to kill flies.  There must be a comp.sys.apple.mac
meeting about (or something like that), and if so, I'd bet they could clue
you in.

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (07/11/89)

I've some of the interesting info about Zoomracks in STReport and if I
had known that it was a hyper-like media, I would have probably bought
it by now (especially, if it had a nice GEM interface).  Does anyone
remember a Zoomracks DEMO somewhere on the net?  Or am I hallucinating
again?

It's been a real thorn in my foot that Macs have hypermedia
and Ataris don't!  I don't understand why Atari didn't get behind
Zoomracks?  I know MacHeads that are HyperCard freaks.  I can't see
anything but good coming from Ataris having a multi-media hypercard
(especially with MIDI available!)  Anyone seen the mail system on
Andrew?  Being able to send an animated mail message is pretty slick
and a definite wave of the future.

So can anybody point me to a Zoomracks demo?

cheers,
-c
| Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu           |
| Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu           |
| College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet       |
| Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe |

 -=- The Animal-Rights mailing list is now on the air.           -=-
 -=- Send mail to Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu to subscribe. -=-

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (07/12/89)

I just called Quickview Systems (146 Main Street, Los Altos, CA  94022) @
415-965-0327 to see if they had a Demo of the ST version of Zoomracks and
I was saddened by the reply.

The voice on the other side of the phone said that the PC version was being
sold as shareware through PCSig, but that they had no demos of the ST
version and that it has been "placed on the back burner."  He went on to
say that the ST market had been a disappointment and that they felt the
ST users were not into productivity software.

From what I read in ST report, it seems more likely that Quickview had
a really rough time trying to get the marketing and advertising going.
I remember seeing the box for it in the computer store when I bought my
ST 4 years ago, but I did not know that it was a card-oriented thought
processor like HyperCard until I read STReport a few weeks back.

I'd like to suggest to anyone who is interested in this product to let
Quickview systems know that there is a market.  I really think there
would be a market if they could intergrate graphics into their cards and
make it GEM based.

If anybody has a demo of Zoomracks, I would greatly appreciate a receiving
a copy.

Thanks,
-c
| Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu           |
| Dept of Comp. Sci.                     csrobe@icase.edu           |
| College of William and Mary  BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet       |
| Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!cs.wm.edu!csrobe |

 -=- The Animal-Rights mailing list is now on the air.           -=-
 -=- Send mail to Animal-Rights-Request@cs.odu.edu to subscribe. -=-

liebo@csclea.ncsu.edu (Dr. Stan Liebowitz) (07/12/89)

Yes, it is a sad story. But from what I have read, Mr, Heckel, the
author of zoomracks (I believe) took money for zoomracks 3 without
ever delivering. He seems more interested in gaining a copyright for
the design than in improving the program (he would like to sue Apple, it
appears). We should wish him well, but don't forget that he apparently
ripped off his most faithful users. Hopefully someone  with a stronger
conscience will write such a program..

davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Meile) (07/12/89)

In article <8907112259.AA07041@cs.wm.edu> csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) writes:
>From what I read in ST report, it seems more likely that Quickview had
>a really rough time trying to get the marketing and advertising going.
>I remember seeing the box for it in the computer store when I bought my
>ST 4 years ago, but I did not know that it was a card-oriented thought
>processor like HyperCard until I read STReport a few weeks back.
>
>I'd like to suggest to anyone who is interested in this product to let
>Quickview systems know that there is a market.  I really think there
>would be a market if they could intergrate graphics into their cards and
>make it GEM based.
>
>If anybody has a demo of Zoomracks, I would greatly appreciate a receiving
>a copy.

I have problems with Chip's suggestion.  I bought Zoomracks II.  I PAID for
an update version, oh, about 2 years back which I still have not received.
Quickview Systems does not _deserve_ any "support" from Atari ST owners, as
their own level of support to registered users who PAID for the next version
of their product has been zilch.

The program itself has quirks which were, at one time, not too frustrating
to deal with.  However, in the years since its initial release, Zoomracks
has become less and less useful.  It is NOT a HyperCard.  It was written
(so I've been told) in a version of Forth which does not take kindly to
such things as desk accessories and RAM disks.  Use of the mouse is, for
all practical purposes, nil.  It does not use the GEM interface, and the
keyboard manipulations you need to do in order to accomplish something are
on par with early versions of Word Star on CP/M systems.  Be prepared to
make use of your Alternate key as you've never used it before!

There is a demo version, which I can probably send to you if you're really
interested.  Send me e-mail and I'll give you details on how to get a disk
and stamped envelope to me.

By the way -- are there any other dissatisfied Zoomracks owners who paid for
the upgrade who might be interested in a class-action suit against Quickview
Systems?

-- Dave Meile

hcj@lzaz.ATT.COM (HC Johnson) (07/13/89)

In article <14369@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Meile) writes:

> By the way -- are there any other dissatisfied Zoomracks owners who paid for
> the upgrade who might be interested in a class-action suit against Quickview
> Systems?
>
> -- Dave Meile

Add me to the suit.  I'm still waiting for the real GEM based zoomracks I paid
for.

Howard C. Johnson
ATT Bell Labs
att!lzaz!hcj
hcj@lzaz.att.com

bill@meadow.UUCP (Bill Foster) (07/16/89)

> In article <8907112259.AA07041@cs.wm.edu> csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) writes:
> >From what I read in ST report, it seems more likely that Quickview had
> >a really rough time trying to get the marketing and advertising going.
> >I remember seeing the box for it in the computer store when I bought my
> >ST 4 years ago, but I did not know that it was a card-oriented thought
> >processor like HyperCard until I read STReport a few weeks back.
>
> I have problems with Chip's suggestion.  I bought Zoomracks II.  I PAID for
> an update version, oh, about 2 years back which I still have not received.
> Quickview Systems does not _deserve_ any "support" from Atari ST owners, as
> their own level of support to registered users who PAID for the next version
> of their product has been zilch.
>
> The program itself has quirks which were, at one time, not too frustrating
> to deal with.  However, in the years since its initial release, Zoomracks
> has become less and less useful.  It is NOT a HyperCard.  It was written
> (so I've been told) in a version of Forth which does not take kindly to
> such things as desk accessories and RAM disks.  Use of the mouse is, for
> all practical purposes, nil.  It does not use the GEM interface, and the
> keyboard manipulations you need to do in order to accomplish something are
> on par with early versions of Word Star on CP/M systems.  Be prepared to
> make use of your Alternate key as you've never used it before!

> By the way -- are there any other dissatisfied Zoomracks owners who paid for
> the upgrade who might be interested in a class-action suit against Quickview
> Systems?
>
> -- Dave Meile

If you want to use a database, why not buy an IBM compat??  I own an ST
and an AT, the combo is far from perfect for they are not yet even really
talking to eachother (help is on the way).  The AT outperforms the ST in
sheer speed and the amount of software that's out there, but the ST is a
superior machine because of the way it was designed and the way I like to
program it.
  It would be nice to be able to look/work with every machine that is out
there so that one may make an intelligent decision on what to buy.
  Don't sue zoomracks - ask for your money back.  I bet they put a lot of
work into a project that one would pay money for (as much work as someone
working for microsoft).  Sure, they were fools to write it in forth (ah)
and sell something they didn't have, but you can't get something for nothing.
Really.

                  BFOSTER = GEnie,  WHTB33B = Prodigy
    {~}     <> Bill Foster <>         |          /|\               {~}
    {~}            /|\            |        Vegetarians 4-ever      {~}
             {amdahl,hplabs,decwrl}!pacbell!cpro!meadow!bill