[comp.sys.atari.st] Multiface

S.Usher@ucl-cs.UUCP (07/10/89)

From: S.Usher@uk.ac.ucl.cs

Today I recieved this piece of E-Mail:-

>Date:         Fri, 7 Jul 89 16:46:14 EDT
>From:         Lee Dickey <ljdickey@ca.uwaterloo.water>
>To:           uunet!mcvax!ukc!strath-cs!nott-cs!ucl-cs!S.Usher@ca.uwaterloo.water,
>              S.Usher@uk.ac.ucl.cs
>Subject:      Re: Multiface
>Newsgroups:   comp.sys.atari.st
>Cc:           S.Usher@uk.ac.ucl.cs
>
>In article <318@ucl-cs.UUCP> you write about Multiface
>
>Is this a commercial product, shareware, or PD?
>
>--
>    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
>        ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca     ljdickey@water.BITNET
>        ljdickey@water.UUCP             ..!uunet!watmath!water!ljdickey
>        ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu

The answer to this question is that the product is very much a commercial
product and consists of both some software and a cartridge (The Multiface).
The Cartridge has a button on it which, when pressed, stops whatever program
was running, saves the screen if it can, and drops you into a monitor/editor
program (which is in the ROM onboard). From here you can save anything to
disc (as long as you can fit it onto a disc).

		Stephen Usher

Addresses:-
(JANET)

S.Usher@uk.ac.ucl.cs		or	UCACMSU@uk.ac.ucl.euclid

--8<-------------- Cut ------------------- Here ---------------------------

colas@mirsa.inria.fr (Colas NAHABOO) (07/17/89)

From article <329@ucl-cs.UUCP>, by S.Usher@ucl-cs.UUCP:
> The Cartridge has a button on it which, when pressed, stops whatever program
> was running, saves the screen if it can, and drops you into a monitor/editor
> program (which is in the ROM onboard). From here you can save anything to
> disc (as long as you can fit it onto a disc).

Yes. Except that nearly all recent programs mask the interrupt(s) generated by
Multiface, so it is useless with all the recent programs I own (Populous,
Archipelagos, DM, starglider II, etc...), which will ignore the press on the
multiface button.
(I borrowed a friend's multiface to test it).

It is only useful with Falcon, which is stopped, and so you can save/restore
a game anywhere (just before landing!)

Colas NAHABOO        -- colas@mirsa.inria.fr
BULL Research FRANCE -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager