[comp.sys.atari.st] ICD host adapters ...

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (07/06/89)

I'm trying to confirm the fact that ICD's hard disk driver version 3.20 is
incompatible with FAT Speed version 1.09.  Has anyone been able to get FAT
Speed to work on an ICD host adapter with the ICD software?  It's absolutely
horrendous trying to restore a full partition from floppies without FAT
Speed, I can't stand it!

ICD still seems to have trouble with Quantum ProDrive 80S drives though.
Have tried switching parity and still no luck.  Formats an Imprimis
94351-200 just fine though.  Argh!

I think I will switch back to Supra after I hollar at ICD a bit.

--
       Henry Kwan - "Bill & Opus '92"     |  What The ST Needs:
     claris!wet!logic@ames.arc.nasa.gov   |  A) 50 Mhz 68030/68882

fgbrooks@crash.cts.com (Fred Brooks) (07/07/89)

In article <237@wet.UUCP> logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) writes:

>I'm trying to confirm the fact that ICD's hard disk driver version 3.20 is
>incompatible with FAT Speed version 1.09.  Has anyone been able to get FAT
>Speed to work on an ICD host adapter with the ICD software?  It's absolutely
>horrendous trying to restore a full partition from floppies without FAT
>Speed, I can't stand it!
>

>I think I will switch back to Supra after I hollar at ICD a bit.

I bought an ICD host adapter for a SMD-SCSI interface to my 2312 fuji drive
hooked up to an 5580 adapter. The hardware is solid but I woundn't use the
software. For one there is no way to setup a generic SCSI drive. By useing
Supra's utilitys I select other controller and drive, plug in the parameters
and away she goes.

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (07/09/89)

In article <4574@crash.cts.com> fgbrooks@crash.CTS.COM (Fred Brooks) writes:

>I bought an ICD host adapter for a SMD-SCSI interface to my 2312 fuji drive
>hooked up to an 5580 adapter. The hardware is solid but I woundn't use the
>software. For one there is no way to setup a generic SCSI drive. By useing
>Supra's utilitys I select other controller and drive, plug in the parameters
>and away she goes.

I don't know which version of the ICD software you are using but the version
I received lets you format drives that the ICD software doesn't support by
modifying the ICDFMT.DAT file.  It's not as quick as Supra's way of letting
you plug in the parameters right there and then but it appears to work.

Quick update to my ICD woes.  It appears that FAT Speed is compatible with
the ICD driver.  You just have to run it *before* any type of startup
program such as Desk Manager and Super Boot.  Also, the Quantum formatted
after I switched parity and modified the ICDFMT.DAT file.  Nothing in the
ICD documentation about this but the tech support at ICD was helpful.

--

VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (07/17/89)

In Info-Atari16 Digest #329, cca.ucsf.edu!wet!logic@cgl.ucsf.edu  (Henry Kwan)
writes:

>I'm trying to confirm the fact that ICD's hard disk driver version 3.20 is
                                         (you probably meant V 2.30 ^^^^)
>incompatible with FAT Speed version 1.09.  Has anyone been able to get FAT
>Speed to work on an ICD host adapter with the ICD software?

I wouldn't recommend using FATSPEED. I'm not sure what exactly the ICD driver
does, but I don't think FATSPEED is compatible with the ICD driver. I'm going
to disassemble the new driver (see below) the minute I get it, maybe I can
find a solution. Use CACHExxx instead, if you have TOS 1.2. That *should* work.

I know that this is not a good answer, but still: Your best bet is to wait for
TOS 1.4. Then you won't need FATSPEED anyway.

>ICD still seems to have trouble with Quantum ProDrive 80S drives though.
>Have tried switching parity and still no luck.  Formats an Imprimis
>94351-200 just fine though.  Argh!

I saw your previous posting only minutes ago, and thought about advising you
to disable parity check. That's what I had to do to get my Maxtor LXT100S to
work.

>I think I will switch back to Supra after I hollar at ICD a bit.

Well, I'd like to holler, too, but Germany is quite far away from Illinois.
Anyway, if you call their BBS, you can download a *new* version of their
driver (I *think* it's called 2.40, judging from the fragments I have :-).
This version is supposed to work OK, even with TOS 1.4.

Their BBS number should be in the "manual" you got with the adapter ...

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away late '89)      Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (soon)                       Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (07/18/89)

In article <8907170207.AA22568@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1.BITNET writes:

>>I'm trying to confirm the fact that ICD's hard disk driver version 3.20 is
>                                         (you probably meant V 2.30 ^^^^)
>>incompatible with FAT Speed version 1.09.  Has anyone been able to get FAT
>>Speed to work on an ICD host adapter with the ICD software?
>
>I wouldn't recommend using FATSPEED. I'm not sure what exactly the ICD driver
>does, but I don't think FATSPEED is compatible with the ICD driver. I'm going
>to disassemble the new driver (see below) the minute I get it, maybe I can
>find a solution. Use CACHExxx instead, if you have TOS 1.2. That *should* work.

The message that the ICDBOOT.SYS gives me when it's booting up indicates
that it is version 3.20.  Perhaps the international version is numbered
differently?  I have found the problem with FAT Speed and ICD's driver
V3.20.  Apparently, it doesn't like "startup" programs like Desk Manager or
Super Boot.  It will install itself if it is placed before those programs
but not after.  Haven't the foggiest idea why this might be.

>>ICD still seems to have trouble with Quantum ProDrive 80S drives though.
>>Have tried switching parity and still no luck.  Formats an Imprimis
>>94351-200 just fine though.  Argh!

Have also solved the problem with the Quantum ProDrive 80S.  In addition to
switching parity, I had to modify the information line for Quantum drives in
the ICDFMT.DAT file.  I changed the CCS.FMT entry to CCS512.FMT.  Hope this
might help out other ICD users to format Quantum's.

(By the way, the information about changing the ICDFMT.DAT file was provided
by ICD's tech support line.  Solved the problem in one call.  Good support,
I must say.  Though I wish that they included such trouble shooting tips in
the "manual".)